Sign in to follow this  

Questions about game developing

This topic is 4742 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I love video games and was thinking about starting school at UAT in tempe arizona for game developing. I'm horrible at drawing but I got in depth ideas on what games I would like to make, I've thought about charactors even button schemes etc. and I assume I would learn alot of the stuff I would need to know at the school in arizona, but as of now I know absolutley nothing about any of this. But like I said I cant draw for ****, is there still a place in this industry for someone like me? someone who has ideas but cant exactly draw that well?

I live in arizona and i have been there. It is a nice place (seems small) and the professors seem to be into games a lot. (When i was visiting one of the teachers were talking to some of the people visiting about Star Wars Galaxies and the new patch and how it messed things up).

I wouldn't go to a school just for a Game Design degree though. A game design degree might sound nice but i don't think it would be good for use if you don't get a job in the game industry or don't like the game industry. I decided to not go to UAT because its VERY expensive and i don't know if i would like working on games for a living so i am going to go for a much wider degree like Computer Science.

I'll definantly look into it chief, level lay out and menu design sounds interesting. Thats good to know that the school seems ok. I'm going to visit it after the new year and ask more questions. I just wanted to make sure that theres jobs for people who have ideas for games but may not be able to bring them to life, but i'll find out this upcoming year, but thanks guys take it easy.

Quote:
Original post by SumDude
(When i was visiting one of the teachers were talking to some of the people visiting about Star Wars Galaxies and the new patch and how it messed things up).

Hah, sounds like someone I know. He teaches there, and has played SWG forever... :P

From what I've heard (not just from him, but from a few students as well), it's a pretty cool place if you want to learn game development stuff.

I think that making the game is the most agitating. It's where a person can show his anger and frusteration freely :).

You can go ahead and go there but the game design degree thing really makes me worry. Theres a commercial here all the time with some girl that says "I can't believe i get paid to play games all day." for a game design degree thing for some school and it totally triggers off my anger. Game making isn't all playing. It's a lot of hard work and frusteration.

Quote:
Original post by SumDude
I think that making the game is the most agitating. It's where a person can show his anger and frusteration freely :).

You can go ahead and go there but the game design degree thing really makes me worry. Theres a commercial here all the time with some girl that says "I can't believe i get paid to play games all day." for a game design degree thing for some school and it totally triggers off my anger. Game making isn't all playing. It's a lot of hard work and frusteration.

Still, it's less stressful than being a game programmer.

Although I do not speak from experience this is what I think about becoming a game developer.

No matter what degree you decide to do you will have to produce a portfolio of games you've created (or helped in the creation of), this proves that you can program, which is also what a CS degree implies (though many people who have a CS degree cannot program well). A CS degree also proves you know about data structures and the low level side of programming and how programs run, I admit this is useful for programming and game development. However, doing a CS degree doesn't prove you are very logical or mathematically intelligent unlike a Maths degree. A maths degree will teach you most of the maths you will need for game development, it proves your logical and good at problem solving, which in its most basic form is what game development is.

For the above reasons, that is why I'm taking a Maths degree rather than a CS degree in university, despite how I want to be a game developer.

Another great thing about a Maths degree is that it doesn't limit you to computer-related jobs, you could have a job in Maths researching or even management.

Though before making your mind up just on this (like you would anyway) remember I'm not speaking from experience, I'm still in college ("high school" for you americans)

Thanks
TomX

This topic is 4742 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.