Sign in to follow this  

[web] HELP HELP

This topic is 4749 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ok..I want to add a database to my site..Like yugioh card databbase... Where they can type the name of a card and it come up with a picture and info about it... How would I go about doing this and how much would it cost?

are you serious?

Why have you given your thread a title in capital letters, which makes it look as though you are shouting?

Why does the title of your thread communicate nothing about what the thread is about?

Why do you give us no idea about whether you are running a server, what the software is?

Do you want someone to do it for you?

I'll do it for you for $5000. It'll take a couple of weeks.

First you would need a server - either Linix or Windows based. Once you figure that out - then you need a scripting language to access the databases off of the servers - such as MySQL (windows) or PhP.

Learning PhP or SQL is not too difficult if your use to scripting - setting up a server can be a pain at times - but is typically not too bad to do.

It's going to take you awhile to learn all of this stuff and actually implement a full database. Not sure why you want to do this, unless your just curious to learn how to do a database.

Personally, I would make a slide show in flash showing each card - and give a description of each card. Who cares if the user can't do a keyword search - from the sounds of things - your webpage is more for personal/fun use rather than an corporate/buisness use that would get a lot of traffic.

Of cource - you can always pay someone to do this for you - the $5000 sounds a little high - I bet you could find some college kid that would do it for a few hundred. (but why?)

me

If you would like to go with the database driven web site, I would have to agree with Roach. I created a site for my previous employeer using an Apache server running on Windows XP, used MySQL as the database and PHP as the language, It came out very well and I was able to create the basic structure and have the entire site up and running in about a week, without any previous MySQL, PHP, or Apache knowledge. (I did however have programming and SQL experience). There are also may books on working with both MySQL and PHP in the same book as this has become a popular combination. Apache you should be able to set up just with the information provided with it (and even in some of the PHP & MySQL books they offer a step by step in setting up different servers). If you are running Unix or Linux, I believe they both come with Apache. So go to http://www.php.net/ and http://dev.mysql.com/ (get the ODBC drivers and MySQL control center in addition to the database server) and http://www.apache.org/ download a bunch of stuff, and get cracking. Also, I don't know if you will be hand coding the site or using an editor, but I used Dreamweaver (best HTML tool out there in my opinion) which has some built in tools for connecting to a MySQL database and also will generate some PHP code for PHP pages, which if you do not know much about either will greatly increase production time as well as help you learn PHP - tell it what you want and look at the code produced and work backwards). You can even download the free trial, just finish your project in 30 days, http://www.macromedia.com/downloads/.
If you do not want to use PHP, Perl is another comon option, but I have never used this before and therefore cannot make any reccomendations on it.
Godd Luck, hope I helped.

Quote:
Original post by McCoy
There are also may books on working with both MySQL and PHP in the same book as this has become a popular combination. Apache you should be able to set up just with the information provided with it (and even in some of the PHP & MySQL books they offer a step by step in setting up different servers).

The LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) setup is one of the most popular for non-MS web servers so it makes sense for a book to cover more than one of the subjects.

This topic is 4749 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.