Sign in to follow this  

static mesh levels

This topic is 4750 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, UT 2004 uses a lot of static meshes for its worlds but still uses BSP based geometry for more or less the shell of their structural areas. The next version of the engine is doing away with BSP geometry altogether. So, I have a couple of quick questions reguarding the arrangement of the static meshes for structural geometry. Would each wall, floor, etc. be a static mesh? That doesn't seem very efficient to me. Entire buildings could be static meshes but then would an octree or KD-tree be used for spatial partitioning? I guess really, the questions is, how would you break up your objects/meshes, and what would be an ideal partioning scheme is your opinion? Thanks.

I guess Epic would keep their current method of "zone portals" which they use in UnrealEngine2 (UT2003/2004).

In UT2003/2004 already alot of levels use static meshes for walls, ceilings and floors. Performance is pretty good but I imagine with the new engine polygon counts for static meshes will be much higher... plus higher res textures/normal maps they probably have something a bit more effecient happening.

Are zone portals at all similar to a normal portal rendering architecture? I know you can place anti-portals in the editor and such but all of the viz is still calculated. Any more insight into this process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

i suppose static geometry is stored in logically ordered chuncks, of such size that its efficiently transferred and rendered.

those chunchs are ordered using some sort of space partitioning, and since KD trees are the best space partitioing scheme for this sort of thing afaik, i suppose thats what they use.

This topic is 4750 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.