HLSL, .NET needed?

Started by
4 comments, last by caesar4 19 years, 4 months ago
I am programming in C++ with visual studio on directx. I recently picked up "Programming Vertex and Pixel Shaders", by Wolfgang Engel. I skipped through and read random pages to get a feel for how it was written. I didnt notice that on the opening page, it says I NEED .NET. I dont program in .NET and I handle all my memory on my own. Do I need to re write my entire game to use HLSL? This part really gets me. Besides that why would they make you run .NET? Maybe im confused here, or it was over stated in the book, can sum1 PLESE clearify this for me? Thanks much. Brad
--X
Advertisement
I'm sure the author meant that you need Visual Studio .NET
Don't be afraid to be yourself. Nobody else ever will be.
You'll only need .NET if you're coding managed DirectX. By the sounds of things, you aren't :)
You'll want Visual Studio .NET for doing shader debugging. Microsoft officially don't support VC6 with the latest release of the DXSDK.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Sorry for late reply, I just got back into town late last night. Im in the midst of upgrading anyways. BUT I take it you dont have to upgrade, its just if I want to be "officially" supported? heh ohh good ole' microsoft :).

Thanks
--X
for ur HLSL, get NVIDIA FX Composer
Cartman's definition of sexual harrasement:"When you are trying to have intercourse with a lady friend, and some other guy comes up and tickles your balls from behind"(watch South Park, it rocks)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement