Sign in to follow this  

[.net] .NET CPU?

This topic is 4714 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Has anyone seen the .NET CPU as mentioned on ./ yesterday? In short, it's a CPU with a subset of the CLR programmed into it. I'm interested as to what sort of systems this chip could eventually make its way into - imagine handheld gaming devices that could be programmed in C# which would run natively on the CPU. Obviously, the technology is in it's infancy right now - but do you think it would have a future? Can you see a whole system being built upon a similar chip in the future? Is it the start of something cool or just another geeky idea destined to never take off? What do you think?

It think it will end up just like the Java CPU. Partially useful as a supplementary addon but I seriously doubt its practical relevance ([edit]as a standalone/main CPU[/edit]) as of yet.

Quote:
Original post by evolutional
Has anyone seen the .NET CPU as mentioned on ./ yesterday?

In short, it's a CPU with a subset of the CLR programmed into it. I'm interested as to what sort of systems this chip could eventually make its way into - imagine handheld gaming devices that could be programmed in C# which would run natively on the CPU. Obviously, the technology is in it's infancy right now - but do you think it would have a future? Can you see a whole system being built upon a similar chip in the future? Is it the start of something cool or just another geeky idea destined to never take off?

What do you think?

Sounds like it's potentially useful. Given the need for RAD in some sectors and the fact that no one wants to build a CPU from the ground up, this could be quite interesting. I'd be interested to know what its performance is, though.

Quote:
Original post by kSquared
Sounds like it's potentially useful. Given the need for RAD in some sectors and the fact that no one wants to build a CPU from the ground up, this could be quite interesting. I'd be interested to know what its performance is, though.

Technically it should be about 30% faster than a Nintendo GBA (same chip, clocked 30% higher).
I don't know how the Compact Framework generally performs, though.

I think it will have about the same uses as the Java CPU previously mentioned. It will probably be used as a controller more than a CPU, if you know what i mean. I'm much too tired to be able to express myself in a correct manner right now, but i think you'll all see what i mean :)

This topic is 4714 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.