Sign in to follow this  

player animation in TPS

This topic is 4747 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi guys, i am making a first person shooter because it is easy ^_^, but i want to change it to third person.(because: i think, the game consept will be better like that) camera is no problemo for me. but the real problem is hands/head animation. in FPS game i dont have to make player animations, but in TPS, i must. :( problem: when you are in third person view you see the player, so if player shoots up, player's gun/hand must look up, and if player looks down, the body and hands will change angle, too.. changing angles should be smooth and contrrolled by formulas(cannot be keyframe, can it?).. how can i do that? do i have to use bone animation?(i think, i can't), or making the player model with : torso, legs, hands, head parts... solve the problem? what is the commercional game's technic for this? is it hard? do you suggest keep working with fps style? any suggestions? *sorry about bad english* :( thank you...

Quote:
how can i do that? do i have to use bone animation?(i think, i can't), or making the player model with : torso, legs, hands, head parts... solve the problem? what is the commercional game's technic for this?
is it hard? do you suggest keep working with fps style?

The most generalised solution you can come up with is probably some derivative of skeletal animation. If you devised a system along these lines FPS or TPS you could use it for NPC's and so on as their animation (surely, for a shooter you have other characters waving a gun around that need similar sort of animation/movement?).

I dont have any specific references, but I'm pretty sure one of the Quake model formats divided the body into segments - e.g. torso/head/legs. If you keep a connector between the three you could (for example) tilt the torso and the head would look up and the arms (+guns) would move accordingly. You might even be able to do this with keyframe (3 key-frames: look-up, look-down, look-straight).

hth
Jack

i can link head-torso/torso-legs by vertex-to-vertex operating. i will try this.
what about bone animation? (i am searching about it for now) is it too hard? can you control all parts of body with bones? does it worth?
i am using keyframe animation for enemies/NPCs just like you said(lookup, look-down..anims..).(i make anims with bones in editor, so i do not animate them again and again but i do not control them with bones in game)
the player should have smoother anim, i mean gun should be effected by any mouse movements like maxpayne or hitman games and because of that i want to make it with math calculations.

what about counter strike(HL1) models? do they have any waving a gun animations? and do you think it will be soo annoying when the models dont have any animation like this? (looks straight, shoots up...etc)

i think i am going to stay at fps style, just make a circle shadow bottom of player ^_^

heheh i just made the head and legs part of the system with a simple 3d game engine(3dgs), now it is time to code torso part.
then i will code the formulas and algorithms for my own engine, i am very happy because it is not as hard as i tought ^_^

thank you..

This topic is 4747 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.