[java] Java compilers/editors (which to use?)

Started by
21 comments, last by Matthew Doucette 19 years, 4 months ago
Use compiler shipped with the J2SE, the standard compiler, why bother to use else?

For the editor I use/recommend GEL.
If you use less-than-56k connection, it's worth to try it!
The size is quite small, it light, and very fast, cos it's native executable, the downside is: you must be under Windows OS to use it.
-------------Golden T Game Engine - Java Game EngineGolden T Website | Golden T Forum
Advertisement
Eclipse and the standard Sun SDK are fine.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Discussion IDEs are hard when there are so many to choose. It is almost like asking which HTML editor is the best. Most people find one they like and stick to it (I still use Notepad for HTML editing). So it is difficult to judge what is best unless you really have experienced (almost) everything.

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Wow. How could anyone possibly think Scite is similar to eclipse?
Oops. I meant they were similar in the sense that they both were "universal" editors. I did not actually download it. It was the first thing I read upon visiting eclipse.org.

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
More java developers use Eclipse than anything else. I have a suspicion that more use Eclipse than all the others mentioned above combined.
After reading everyone's helpful posts, (and judged only on those posts) it appears Eclipse with Sun's compiler. I just want to use whatever the majority of everyone else uses. It makes it simple and reduces discrepancies.

<br><br><!–QUOTE–><BLOCKQUOTE><span class="smallfont">Quote:</span><table border=0 cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width="95%"><tr><td class=quote><!–/QUOTE–><!–STARTQUOTE–><i>Original post by Anonymous Poster</i><br>PS: eclipse annoys me. I hate it.<br><br>[cut]<br><br>THe main problem is that it's bugs are all annoying little thigns, like a bug in how it pasts comments, which deletes the indentation in the first line of the comment. You get pissed &#111;n by this bug 5 times a day, but in the grand scheme of things it is utterly unimportant.<!–QUOTE–></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!–/QUOTE–><!–ENDQUOTE–>OFF TOPIC: That is why sticking to the "standards" is so important. Check out this quote:<br><br><!–QUOTE–><BLOCKQUOTE><span class="smallfont">Quote:</span><table border=0 cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width="95%"><tr><td class=quote><!–/QUOTE–><!–STARTQUOTE–><i><a href="http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/fog0000000249.html">http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/fog0000000249.html</a></i><br><br>I've seen companies where management prides themselves &#111;n doing things deliberately differently from Microsoft. "Just because Microsoft does it, doesn't mean it's right," they brag, and then proceed to create a gratuitously different user interface from the &#111;ne that people are used to.<!–QUOTE–></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!–/QUOTE–><!–ENDQUOTE–>Keep reading from there, Joel goes into more detail.

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games

Hmm I'm not sure you can manage download the SDK (50 megs) with Eclipse (80 megs) with your less-than-56k internet connection :-)
-------------Golden T Game Engine - Java Game EngineGolden T Website | Golden T Forum
Eclipse. 2nd Java editor I tried (after Boreland's JBuilder) and I am still in love.
Yes, like AP says, it has bugs/features and some things just annoy you (CTRL-F is not find. Tab does not flip through the Tabs) but the features are very nice.
It is 100% configurable even down to how you like your style of {}.

I have fallen totally for the "macros" i.e. you write systrace and hit ctrl-space and it changes that to System.out.println("ClassName:methodname()");
Not to mention the refactoring and "encase with try-catch block".
And I fear I have not even scratched the surface.
I generally agree with most of the posts so far. I have used JEdit, JCreator, CodeWarrior, NetBeans, JBuilder(though not the latest version), various text editors, and probably a few others I can't think of right now...and Eclipse is my favorite by far. It does have its problems, but I found it to be the most comfortable and fastest development environment. I code almost exclusively in Java, so I can't comment on how it handles other languages, but there are quite a few plug-ins available for C++ and others.

I have always used Sun's standard compiler, and have had no problems. If you choose that, I would try version 1.5 rather than 1.4.2. 1.5 is supposed to be faster, and you can always compile for a previous version if you need to.

Hope this helps a bit.
Everyone is going to laugh at me here, but I still use BlueJ. Thank god my monitor supports a high enough resolution that I can fit most of those graphical classes on screen. I tried netbeans, but got annoyed with it. I d/l a trial of jbuilder, but it wouldn't install. Kept looping through the part where you designate an install path.
I'm using Netbeans 3.6 and Java 1.5 for Windows and Linux (got a fast internet connection at my uni so I got everything I needed for Java).
Just to say, if you're using Netbeans, make sure you have atleast 256 meg ram! Otherwise you're going to suffer short periods of garbage collection.
Well I have used Gell before but I like netbeans 3.6 better (its much more stable than netbeans 3.5.1).
"Take delight in the Lord and He will give you your heart's desires" - Psalm 37:4My Blog

I use IntelliJ, and Sun's JDK!:D

I've tried Borland's JBuilder, but there is something about it I just dont like..
Hans-Petter Harveg
@phaelax: You should really give eclipse a try. It's the best IDE that I've come across so far. Refactoring rules and the way the who platform is built is really something else, especially when you start to dabble with plugins for it.
garazdawi - 'I put the laughter back in slaughter'

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement