Installing the SDK

Started by
40 comments, last by Hepy 19 years, 4 months ago
Hello all. I'm new to c++ and new to directx programming. The otherday i tried to install the October release of the directx 9 SDK, however when i run any of the installed samples.I get the following errors: --------------------Configuration: dx9 - Win32 Debug-------------------- Compiling... AntiAlias.cpp NOTE: WINVER has been defined as 0x0500 or greater which enables Windows NT 5.0 and Windows 98 features. When these headers were released, Windows NT 5.0 beta 1 and Windows 98 beta 2.1 were the current versions. For this release when WINVER is defined as 0x0500 or greater, you can only build beta or test applications. To build a retail application, set WINVER to 0x0400 or visit http://www.microsoft.com/msdn/sdk to see if retail Windows NT 5.0 or Windows 98 headers are available. See the SDK release notes for more information. c:\program files\microsoft directx 9.0 sdk (october 2004)\include\dsound.h(305) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'dwReserved1' c:\program files\microsoft directx 9.0 sdk (october 2004)\include\dsound.h(305) : error C2501: 'DWORD_PTR' : missing storage-class or type specifiers c:\program files\microsoft directx 9.0 sdk (october 2004)\include\dsound.h(305) : error C2501: 'dwReserved1' : missing storage-class or type specifiers c:\program files\microsoft directx 9.0 sdk (october 2004)\include\dsound.h(306) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'dwReserved2' c:\program files\microsoft directx 9.0 sdk (october 2004)\include\dsound.h(306) : error C2501: 'DWORD_PTR' : missing storage-class or type specifiers c:\program files\microsoft directx 9.0 sdk (october 2004)\include\dsound.h(306) : error C2501: 'dwReserved2' : missing storage-class or type specifiers c:\c projects\dx9\antialias\antialias\dxut.h(13) : fatal error C1189: #error : "The sample framework requires a Unicode build. If you are using Microsoft Visual C++ .NET, under the General tab of the project properties change the Character Set to ' Use Unicode Character Set'." Error executing cl.exe. dx9.exe - 7 error(s), 0 warning(s) I am currently using visual c++ 6 (standard version), and windows xp. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks, Hepy
Advertisement
The DXSDK no longer supports VC6. You have to install the 'Extras' to have VC6 support.
Which 'extras' are these? I thought that DX9c SDK was incompatible... can't see anything in the documentation about extras to make it work with VC6. I'd really appreciate it if you could shed some light on this :-)
I'm pretty stupid.

[Edited by - Pipo DeClown on December 16, 2004 7:18:32 AM]
Ok, i've got the extra's do i just drag this into the include and lib folders installed with the sdk? (edit - done this and i still get the same errors)
Hepy
Quote:Original post by Pipo DeClown
Gosh, read the FIRST-est post in this forum!!!

Pipo is wrong!

[Edited by - Pipo DeClown on December 16, 2004 7:51:15 AM]
Me or Doomhunk, i looked in the first sticky and its says i need the extra's i got these and dragged all the libs and includes into the directx sdk directories and still got them errors.
Thanks,
Hepy
Quote:Original post by Hepy
Me or Doomhunk, i looked in the first sticky and its says i need the extra's i got these and dragged all the libs and includes into the directx sdk directories and still got them errors.
Thanks,
Hepy

- Do you have the platform SDK?
- Add UNICODE and _UNICODE to the project preprocessor definitions.

- Do you have the platform SDK?

I'm not sure what you mean here, i just downloaded it from the microsoft site. It's the october release of dx9. I also download the extra's package.

- Add UNICODE and _UNICODE to the project preprocessor definitions.

Like i said i'm very new to dx and c++, i wouldn't know where to put this.
Sorry for my lack of coding knowlegde, but i haven't had the chance to as i can't get this working.
Thanks for any help,
Hepy
You also need to install the Platform SDK:

http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement