• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
anitaPillai

OpenGL How can I create a 3D model of a car in OpenGL

This topic is 4966 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How can I create a 3D model of a car in OpenGL , it should be something simple not too complicated. Could I do it using texture mapping ?? I am new to graphics programming so I need something simple to work with. Thanks! Anita

Advertisement
OpenGL is an API designed for displaying things (such as 3D models of cars) not creating them. To create a model of the car you'd want to use a 3D package such as 3D Studio Max or Maya though these have rather steep price tags. Blender is a decent free (and open source) alternative.

look into gluQuadrics first
they give you primitive shapes like, box, cylinder, sphere, etc
a bunch of those stuck together could make a simple car

edit
ok, why did my rating go down over this?
its perfectly reasonable advice
if your just starting out with opengl and graphics, start simple
working with primitives and how to translate and scale them is a much better way to start learning than writing a 3d format importer

[Edited by - haphazardlynamed on December 15, 2004 7:45:05 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!