Getting started

Started by
2 comments, last by MikeRentas 19 years, 4 months ago
Hey, I'm just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on finding projects to jump on to. I've got a bachelors degree in computer science, lots of (academic) java experience with a smattering of c/c++ and assembly (plus various scripting languages), and plenty of desire to get seriously into game development. My problem is that I'm not terribly imaginitive, so I'm having trouble coming up with a game concept that strikes me as being worthwhile. I've messed around with a couple of small games, but I'd really like to find a project, either ongoing or starting up, that I can contribute to to get some real practical coding experience. So my question is, how do other people get involved in development projects, aside from starting them? Are there community sites dedicated to starting projects? Is there a secret club I need to join? :) Thanks for any advice. //mike
Advertisement
Hi Mike,

Welcome to GameDev! You obviously have the drive to want to be somewhere and you're looking in the right place. I personally can't give you any true advice as I'm not in the industry (still in college). But I can say that I've talked with people who are in the industry and the best way to get involved is to be involved. Join the IGDA and go to your local meetings (if you don't have a local chapter meeting, you can make one!). Talk with others and begin networking. Once you have a nice group of connections, start a project with a small team and complete that project. From what I can tell, many companies like to see awesome mods of larger games and small intuitive demos. So, get out there and get involved!
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
I couldnt agree more with the above poster. While i wouldnt reccomend looking in the "help wanted" section of the site, it is always an option.

on that note, i wouldnt join any game project based over the internet, these are sloppy and more than anything fail.
Thanks for the advice!

//mike

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement