Sign in to follow this  

Music clip for review

This topic is 4743 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys. I want people's opinion of this. I'm not really a composer, but I've got to the point where I'm thinking about adding music to my game project. It's maybe an intro theme for a space game. What do you think (be brutal)? Clip

Artistically, it's really quite pale :-)

However, as game background music, it's just fine. You usually don't want something that sticks out too much. A sweeping chord progression with a little bit of tension and a little bit of calm is just fine for walking around the countryside, waiting for spawns.

I agree it is a bit pale, I'm having a bit of difficulty composing without a keyboard of any kind! ;) What I need is a good but cheap midi controller of some kind, or maybe there is a way to play notes through the pc keyboard. hmmmm.

You can download programs that turn your PC keyboard into a piano of sorts. I've never been satisfied with them, though. And real MIDI controller keyboards aren't cheap.

As far as the chord progression, I think it sounds very nice. That being said however, it lacks a bit of realism and it does sound very sampled or sequenced.

If possible, I think it would sound much nicer if some of the strings took a little longer to 'fade in' and if there were some variations in volume in the notes that stay the same.

Thanks for the feedback. I've just uploaded a newer version (same link) - but bear in mind that it will eventually be much longer.
I'm going to try and work on the dynamics of it a bit more, but I'm really just trying to find my way round the software at the mo.
I've added some cheesy drums now, that are slightly out of sync, just need to figure out how to sync them up properly!
I don't know, it's all starting to sound a bit moby!

Guest Anonymous Poster
This is actually a nice little theme, and I can easily see it being useful in a game, one thing...the drums stand out, I'm not sure if you need different samples, mixing, or rhythms, but they are much sharper than your other instruments, and it makes them sound a little out of place.

There's nothing wrong with its simplicity...it never drags or stops moving, and makes a nice introductory type theme...One thing I would do is variate your piano bit in the beginning, make it just a little different the second or third time, alter one note, give it just enough deviation from the initial motive that listeners keep their ears tuned to see what's going to happen.

This topic is 4743 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.