Sign in to follow this  

Real-time volumetric, refractive jelly

This topic is 4741 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've released an open-source demo of refractive, volumetric water sloshing around in a sphere in VERY real-time - the demo uses a technique called Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics (SPH) and runs almost entirely on the GPU. SPH is a new way of doing fluid simulation (especially over volumes) with particles. 3D grid based methods are often computionally too expensive because of the large grid sizes required, but particles can fill relatively large volumes easily and realistically. A bonus is that many of the SPH computational steps are easily implemented on the GPU, and as such, almost all particle-computation in this demo occurs on the GPU. After the particle simulation phase, a surface is formed over the particles for rendering. Compiles with Visual Studio and DirectX 9 (SUMMER 2003 UPDATE!!!) Download it here: http://www.strangebunny.com/techdemo_sph.php This demo requires pixel shader 2.0 and support for floating point textures to run on the GPU (can still run without, but only in REF mode). Its pretty stable, but let me know if anybody finds any bugs. - Thanks, Victor Palmer victor@strangebunny.com AIM: goodtimes9863 [Edited by - qprider on December 17, 2004 5:46:13 PM]

Nice, 294 fps [smile]

It's a nice effect, only problem I see with it is that it would have to always be in motion, otherwise you can spot the particles without difficulty. Looks like it has its uses though :)

Hey, glad the response has generally been positive to the demo :) ... yeah, the DirectX SDK is required to compile the demo (specifically, I compile it under the DirectX SDK Summer 2003 Update).

There's no real reason for the install program ... I could have done a zip just as well. Good point actually, I'll try and get a ZIP-only version up.

- Thanks,

Victor

490-500 fps
very nice indeed :) (although it feels more like jelly than water, and the refraction is completely deformed when the liquid body is at rest)

Quote:
Original post by qprider
Hey, glad the response has generally been positive to the demo :) ... yeah, the DirectX SDK is required to compile the demo (specifically, I compile it under the DirectX SDK Summer 2003 Update).

There's no real reason for the install program ... I could have done a zip just as well. Good point actually, I'll try and get a ZIP-only version up.

- Thanks,

Victor

I mean Direct X is required to run the demo ? I couldn't run it.
Here is the error :

Warning nothing will be rendered.
The reference rendering device was selected,but your computer
only has a reduced-functionality reference device installed.
Install the DirectX SDK to get the full reference device.

btw I have a RADEON 9000

Quote:
I mean Direct X is required to run the demo ? I couldn't run it.
Here is the error :

Warning nothing will be rendered.
The reference rendering device was selected,but your computer
only has a reduced-functionality reference device installed.
Install the DirectX SDK to get the full reference device.

btw I have a RADEON 9000
You'll get that message when you just have the end-user runtimes installed, they have the "Null Ref Device" whereas the SDK has the "proper" reference rasterizer.

I'd also hazard a guess that your hardware might not support all the features this demo requires, and is by default rolling back to the REFRAST.

hth
Jack

nice! :) you guys are good ... you're absolutely right about you needing the DirectX SDK for reference rasterizer purposes if you cant support PS 2.0 and floating point render targets in hardware ... again, very good call.

And also, it does look more like jelly than water doesn't it? ... my conscience has been eating on my and so I've finally come clean admitted it! ... ;)

Download my new JELLY SIMULATOR (seriously) - based on Smoothed Particle Jellydynamics, the only major difference in the sim is that now you can change the flavor of the jelly. :) hahaha you guys are great!

http://www.strangebunny.com/techdemo_sph.php

Quote:
Original post by qprider
And also, it does look more like jelly than water doesn't it? ... my conscience has been eating on my and so I've finally come clean admitted it! ... ;)

Download my new JELLY SIMULATOR (seriously) - based on Smoothed Particle Jellydynamics, the only major difference in the sim is that now you can change the flavor of the jelly. :) hahaha you guys are great!

lol!

Hey, I've downloaded this demo, but when trying to open it, I get: "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices. This sample will now exit.". I've got GeForce4 MX 64MB... I guess it won't run cause that old thing don't support pixel shaders 2.0 and downloading DirectX SDK won't help me either... am I right? :-/

Hey qprider
I also found a link to the demo on your website from a flipCode forum thread and it looks really good. The bouncing drops of water look very realistic.

For some REALLY impressive water simulation, try visiting Takashi Amada research website at [url]http://chihara.aist-nara.ac.jp/people/2003/takasi-a/research/index.html[/url]. There is a movie captured from a demo he has made, simulating real water, and it looks stunning! Download and be amazed. Unfortunetly there isn't any source or demo up for download, so the movie and a few very short technical documents will have to do for now :/

This topic is 4741 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.