THE IMPOSSIBLE

Started by
12 comments, last by Spoonbender 19 years, 3 months ago
Before i became anything that involved 3d i would post on sites about this game idea. Or i would see other people posting about the same idea. And wow were they shot down. Mainly because they didnt have screen shots. Or any thing else to explain when asked. Well i started working on a game. And now after building a small nieborhood i wanna mess around with a team. So i posted in the help section. Luckly i got responce. So whos know maybe a small, small portion of my idea will come along and push other to keep attemping this huge plan. Game Idea Come on the game of life would be insane. driving places Hanging out with people. Doiing everything u can do in real life but on the computer. It would be like a whole second chance. I think it would be totally cool. Of course it would have to involce endless programming Endless nights of modeling and idea making. But Once the new gtaS came out i realize how close they were. If this game is still impossible I still dont mind giving it a shot. But here can u go to my small, like 4 screenshots page and let me know how You think im doing on the nieborhoods so far..Thanks Everyone. If you have any ideas let me know!!!
Advertisement
http://www.geocities.com/imhandycapped18/homepage.html?1103189984937
secondlife.com.
WOW that looks insane.. I still wanna work on my project. I think i can go really far with the right people and if not i have a HUGE level to mess with in the end with alot of options..THanks for that post..IM all over it now!!
A game liek secondlife would be very boring if a single player game. The whole point of secondlife was to be able to have another life interacting with real people in a virtual world in which you could afford big price items, visit places you may never see, etc.

Its more about interaction. What can the player do to occupy himself? shenmue (1 and 2) would be a better game to idolize for this sort of thing. Since you seem to want to stay ground to reality (ie not sensless violenece that gives gta its fun, not that there is anything wrong with that). All the content in the world is uselss if you cant interact with it. The limits you place on interaction directly relate to what the player feels he can do. Hanging out with friends at a pub is nice, but if they are just some npcs it because kinda of silly. Heck some might call it crazy since they are trying to chat it up with ai.

Pretty much you want to make an mmorpg with heavy emphasis on role playing in a contemporary enviroemnt (ie the present day blasville). Sims online does this too, you can look at that game as well.

(turn on devils advocate mode)
gta san andreas is not close to anything. Its merely fooling you (as a good game should). It allows you to roam a condensed city. you can drive cars of which are only rendered in your zone, not for the entire city. It dont matter since its the player ussually wont notice the cars becoming ghosts as soon as they leave the player sight. most npcs dont exist beyond walking around as filler and fodder for killing. The npcs you do interact with are scripted missons with no dialogue (ie the player does not make choices, the game scripts it all). Again nothing wrong with that, but far from free roaming your talking about interaction wise. you cant enter most buildings. again not a problem since most players would not care since they are too busy killing to notice.

Pretty much you need to set your expectations correctly. There is a HUGE difference in what gta offers and what the mmorpg secondlife offers. Heck just using gta and making it a mmorpg makes a HUGE difference. You need REAL ppl to play so friendships, hanging out, and all that other good stuff happens. npcs dont cut it yet (i am sure ai will eventually get there in a decade or two for decent chatting and role playing).

So start small, then work your way up. And seeing pictures of some neighborhood dont mean much to me. It shows you can model and make a 3d engine, not that you create compelling interactivity with the enviroment for the player to enjoy this second life. remember ppl play games to escape their life, and the real world.
Quote:Original post by ifeelsodumbrightnow
Doiing everything u can do in real life but on the computer.

Why not do it in real life then?

I think you need to refine your idea a lot further. Just saying it's a 'real life sim' involves zero thought, is impossible, and probably wouldn't be all that interesting anyway. You need to figure out what the gameplay is going to be. "Real life but on a computer" isn't a game design, it's just lazy and not really all that great an idea anyway, IMHO.

GTA is fun precisely because it isn't like real life. Most of us don't run around breaking into cars and doing insanely suicidal stunts in them, driving like a maniac and blasting the limbs off innocent bystanders with a sniper rifle, safe in the knowledge that even if we get caught or killed, all we lose is a small amount of easily replaceable cash and a few guns. The designers picked an aspect of real life, made it simple and fun, and built a game around it.
This all reminds me of the Red Dwarf book 'Better Than Life' [grin]

I agree with Sandman, games should be about escaping the normal bounds of reality and doing things that you can't do in real life such as shoot monsters, steal cars and solve crimes. To me a game based on life would be as dull as it got; if you don't like your life why would you play an alter-ego of yourself doing something fresh in the world of the game - why don't you take that time and energy and plough it into making your real life how you want it to be?
WARNING: too much reality brings players with problems to estraniate from true reality, when your idea will be a game, many people will criticate it, and the wole videogame world will pay the conseguences.
What you need to do is have it where it can be "hacked" to where the player can fly or other stuff like in the matrix or something... but make sure no one knows...
_______________________Dancing Monkey Studios
Quote:Original post by evolutional
This all reminds me of the Red Dwarf book 'Better Than Life' [grin]

I agree with Sandman, games should be about escaping the normal bounds of reality and doing things that you can't do in real life such as shoot monsters, steal cars and solve crimes. To me a game based on life would be as dull as it got; if you don't like your life why would you play an alter-ego of yourself doing something fresh in the world of the game - why don't you take that time and energy and plough it into making your real life how you want it to be?

I give you The Sims.

Nah, I don't understand it either.
http://edropple.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement