How can I add sound and music to my OGL application?

Started by
9 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 19 years, 4 months ago
I've got "tetris similar game"... I'd like to add some sound and music... Is it good to mix Direct Sound with OpenGL grapics? Or maybe normal API would be better?
Advertisement
if i were you, i would learn directsound. but it is not as easy as openal or fmod.
and one more thing, with directsound your game will not cross-platform. i suggest openal for a simple tetris like game. it is very easy to use.
+-+-+-+-+-STR
openAL was also desighnded to operate with openGL
I just wanna get this done.
I would go for OpenAL too...
But I think it's just like choosing between OpenGL and Direct3D, they both have their strengths...
Killers don't end up in jailThey end up on a high-score!
OpenAL and FMod will both keep you crossplatform.
Fmod costs money if you want to use it for anything but free projects.
OpenAL has the same syntax as OpenGL (more or less).
DirectSound ties you to windows and throws a whole new API structure at you.

Personally, I'll be going with OpenAL, it looks alot saner than DS to setup and on Creative and NForce mobos if the end user has the correct DLL installed it can even bypass Directsound for slightly faster sound useage.
Read the forum FAQ before posting please. OpenGL is for rendering graphics. You can use a tin drum for your music for all it matters to OpenGL, but this post still doesn't belong in this forum.

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

sdl ties in well with opengl, ive used sdl_mixer for music/sound effects, pretty simple to operate
I suggest using DirectSound, OpenAL has something wrong with Multithreading, even without reentrance.
hmmm I find that hard to belive, considering its been used in a fair few commerical apps, unless all of them avoided multithreading ofcourse [wink]
See http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=289458 for more information on OpenAL multithreading problem.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement