Sign in to follow this  

What's Next

This topic is 4748 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Can someone explain to me what is the next steps in game develpment. So far im learning C++ which is going ok. What i would like to know is: 1. What is the best software for designing games i.e Graphics,colours etc etc 2. How do you combine the C++ program with your graphics design?? Any answers would be appreciated

Quote:
Original post by frankiej
Hi

Can someone explain to me what is the next steps in game develpment. So far im learning C++ which is going ok. What i would like to know is:

1. What is the best software for designing games i.e Graphics,colours etc etc

There's no such thing as the "best" software, generally we use Photoshop for texture and image manipulation and 3Ds MAX or Maya for 3D modelling, then we have a whole suite of in-house tools for art asset conversion and for building things for our specific engine. Other than that we use CVS for source control and SSCM for managing our art assets (although on one project we have our own asset manager which is part of the art pipeline).

Quote:
Original post by frankiej
2. How do you combine the C++ program with your graphics design??

Any answers would be appreciated

Well you need to make some decisions about what your game will be doing, create or borrow a way of describing your world and the entities in it, and then design some way of organising that.

For example on one of our projects we use XML to control the layout of the GUI; i.e. what type of window, it's size, where it opens, it's colour and opacity etc, so we store all this in an XML file (we have a GUI editor which creates this for us but it's just plain text basically) then the program reads in the XML file, parses it for all the types and number of windows etc within it, pass this information onto our GUI window factory class and it creates the window for us based on the information we just loaded from the XML file.

I've probably just really confused you, sorry if i have, but i assure you it sounds a lot worse than it is.

Any help at all or any questions?
AndyC

Quote:

You should check out SDL. It's a very easy to use graphics library. I also have a couple of tutorials set up on how to get started using it. Enjoy.

There's also a link to tutorials for OpenGL and Direct3D in the Forum FAQ - I've used both nehe and gametutorials in the process of learning OpenGL and they take you quite a long way from simple first steps.

Quote:

There's no such thing as the "best" software, generally we use Photoshop for texture and image manipulation and 3Ds MAX or Maya for 3D modelling

Or - if you're a cheapskate (like me), there's a whole list of free / cheap (or blow-your-head-off-oh-my-god-HOW-MUCH-is-that expensive) bits of software in the Visual Arts forum (here).

HTH,
Jim

This topic is 4748 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.