Sign in to follow this  

C based GUI, please help...

This topic is 4746 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am looking for a C ONLY based GUI toolkit. A toolkit that is built with C not C++ or anything else. You people have been helpful and did point out some toolkits but they were OOP based. Isnt there any C based toolkit for GUI dev with OGL that calls functions, structs etc. and not deal with objects? At least if there is none which is the easiest for VERy fast prototype. Needed for a project and it has to be very easy due to time constraints. Thanks and hope for an answer. NOTE: I deleted the post "ARB C# OGL" since I found an answer and thought I shouldnt bother you people with something I learned at the end. Hey thanks for looking anyway.

I remember that Allegro (game programming library) implemented strict C GUI, but that was huge mess (aka spaghetti code) and it is strongly linked with Allegro, so in your case it probably won't be helpful to mention it.

Short search on Google for GUI C libs gave me:

http://www.gtk.org/
http://www.opengroup.org/openmotif/ // this one could be good though I couldn't find any info in which language it was written with

Not much information but HTH anyways.

Can I ask your opinion on something? Ok here it goes. I want to build either a GUI system, a particle editor or a pixel/vertex editor. However I dont know what to choose. In your opinion which is the best for finding a job in the game industry and in the scientific industry in other words in the non game related field? What will be the best. My supervisor tells me that I should choose but I want the gamedev's forum people opinion also.

IMHO, doing particle editor || pixel/vertex editor (you meant shaders, aren't you?) would be much better when you're thinking of showing people your abilities and trying to break into industry. Sadly, that's the same argument why so many games concentrate on eye candy graphics and leave design stuff to bare acceptable minimumu - they (in most cases - management aka suits) *believe* that with flashy graphics game will be sold in more copies than without them, but with better design etc. (ok, enough my rant)
OTOH, when you're writing editors, you need GUI anyway. Maybe you could do GUI in your spare time as second priority project and at the same time work on the other thing, doing research, planning, writing test programs etc., and when GUI will finally be good enough, start writing proper editor. Though remember that I know very little about you and your situation, so that might not suit you.

In case you're doing particle editor (I assume that it also means doing actuall particle engine with some effects) you could take a look at my page, there are some handy links about particles and some UML diagrams of my particle engine, which might be helpfull: http://jnr.sourceforge.net/readarticle.php?article_id=3

This topic is 4746 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.