Sign in to follow this  

C# Simple, but good enough?

This topic is 4748 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I would like to know if C# is any good for game development. I heard that it is alot slower than C\C++. I have also heard that in some cases(I\O) it is faster than C\C++, is this true? Managed DirectX is suposed to give me the performance of C++ to C# in DirectX apps. If so then there is no reason to choose C++ over C#. I would also like to know any good links to C#/Managed DirectX resources. THanks for your time. S-Eye

C# is perfectly good for game development. Typically its performance is about the same as that of similar C++ code, but it may be either faster or slower for specific applications depending on usage.

I'm afraid I don't know much about Managed DirectX, but I believe its primary advantage is in ease of development and debugging. I would expect its performance to be similar to unmanaged DirectX.

it's not "a lot" slower than C\C++, however it is marginally slower in execution time.
C# is "faster" than C++ in application developement time.

Consider this, C# is easier to learn than C\C++. It is also adequate for all but the most complex games (I'm talking somethink like Morrowind with even better graphics). Do you think that you will EVER create a game of that calliber, on your own (also consider that these types of games are created by large teams of developers over the course of a few years).

Basically, C# should be more than adequate for your needs.

Managed DirectX is negligibly slower than DX in C++, it is a thin wrapper around the DX API, so it does add some overhead, however the true overhead comes from C# being a managed language, whereas C++ is not (however, it can be a managed language, in which case DirectX applications in C# and C++ will run at the same speed).

Download the demo from this site http://arenawars.krawall.de/com/
its a commercial game writen in C#, it looks good and is a lot fun, and it runs great.

Check out this book: Managed DirectX 9 by Tom Miller. its the closest thing to a C# & Managed DX bible ther is.

There is a lot of dispute with very little hard figures about C# speed vs C++ speed.
With perfect coding on both sides people say you will see a +2%-5% speed benefit in C++ though i hear the ogre 3D enige runs faster in C#.
THOUGH thats assuming perfect code, C# being managed allows you to avoid many of the pitfalls of programming with C++. Meaning if your not a pro your code will probably be tidier and faster in C#.

I cant swear to all that advice being the gospel truth but it is what i was told by almost every body when i was thinking of getting started in C# game development. (which i find SOOOO much easier to get decent results with than C++).

My problem with people saying that C# is slower is that, has it actually been slow for them? It's kinda trendy on these forms to criticize C# and Java for being too slow but I rarely see anyone doing something that would really need that speed difference. I recall that Quake 2 was rewritten in C# by some programming crew and it ran perfectly fine. And C# could obviously be used for more powerful games than Quake 2. Yet very few people could actually program something at the level of Quake 2.

I guess I'm just trying to say that if you like C#, go with it. Until you're ready to program something like the latest games, do you really need the speed of C++? Not to mention, C# is a great way to learn DirectX.

Drunken Hyena has some good C# tutorials (look for his Direct3D 9 Tutorials)

The ZBuffer will point you to some great sources.

Here you'll find a tutorial on setting up C# and drawing a 3D landscape.

And most importantly, check out the Documentation folder in your DirectX SDK directory. It has a 6 part tutorial on using managed directx in C# as well as some awesome code samples.

Best of luck!

Thank you guys for such fast replies!

I would be even more greatful if you guys could recomend some texts on 3d physics and math for C#. I have found alot of them which are only for C\C++.
Thanks again!

S-Eye

Here aresome links:

Millers Blog:
http://blogs.msdn.com/tmiller/

Video Interview with miller RE his book:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/theshow/Episode037/default.asp

MSDN DX site
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnanchor/html/anch_directx.asp

Also avoid this book i found it very badly put together:
Introduction to 3d Game Engine Design Using Directx 9 and C#
None of the source code will actualy compile (its very out dated)

If you learn the maths and phisics and also know the basics of the language your porgramming in its fairly simple to get a program to perform a mathmatical equasion.

I have this book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201619210/qid=1103221733/sr=1-8/ref=sr_1_10_8/026-5408689-6618865
and although its not C# or even DX it explains the concepts of 3D so well that if you know the language and gfx api you can apply a lot of this books teachings on 3D to anything.

I've popped open the disassembly window in VS2003 when running a C# program to see what the actual code executing on the processor looked like. For the half-hour or so that I messed around testing basic code differences in C# and C++, it seemed like C#'s JITted machine language is more-or-less the same type of stuff that the C++ compiler spits out...

the first major differences I noticed were in collections:

Arrays will perform bounds checking on EVERY item-fetch/store operation. not just when you use the "System.Array" class, but even when you use int[] or float[]. Then I realized the compiler is actually using the System.Array class when you declare an array like that, and essentially using the Array.this[] indexer.

The thing you have to understand is that everything you use in C# (down to the basic types like int, float, and the arrays) are represented by classes/value-types - some of the simple operations that you're used to (like the array dereference) will perform extra checking operations (like bounds checking, overflow checking, etc). You can avoid *some* checks (like overflow checking) by using the 'unchecked' keyword (or turning checking off in the project preferences). 'unchecked' doesn't affect arrays, though.

If you have time-critical code related to array lookups, you can (and possibly should) pin the array and access the contents using unsafe pointer stuff. I use this a lot when I want to manually set the pixel colors across an entire bitmap, and I can say that the performance is QUITE adaquate (it's the same performance I can expect from the same operation in C++).

foreach: for ArrayList, at least, your basic 'foreach' loop doesn't cache the size of the collection - it looks it up once per loop iteration.

Get/set properties: The compiler will expand the assembly for these like inlines if it decides that it would be better, but AFAIK (just like inline) you cannot force the expansion.

managed pointers: Ok, managed pointers will probably be the main bottleneck that you can never get rid of. The Garbage Collector specs dictate that any managed object can be moved around in the heap BY A SEPARATE THREAD - this means that you can never be sure of the actual address of an object (unless you pin it). This means your functions are passing around a pointer 'wrapper' of sorts. I haven't gotten down to the level of figuring out how much overhead they have for thread-safe operations, but hopefully it's not too much.

C# Type Reflection: the "is" and "as" operators function by comparing a type-handle-integer to the type-handle stored by whatever managed object you're trying to look up. This is the fastest method that I know of for looking up "what type is this?" info. I haven't checked out the guts of C++ RTTI to see how it compares.

literal conversion: I haven't checked C#, but there is often a hidden issue when you initialize floating-point variables. Say you do "float f = 1.0;" "1.0" is recognized by a lot of compilers as a double (not sure about C#, but most C++ compilers do this) - often, the optimizer fixes this, but many times the generated code will have a double-to-single conversion operation. The standard way to avoid this is to write "float f = 1.0f;" instead. C# *will* warn you about every single time where one of these conversions happens.

I'll probably be testing the JITted C# code some more as Visual C# 2005 comes out... they mentioned doing some optimization of some of the framework classes, so maybe there will be some JITter optimization, too.

c# is perfectly for game development, check out my blog for my current c# Project: abi.exdream.com
I'm developing a complete game in 14 days and will post a screenshot every day.

I also wrote Arena Wars: www.ArenaWars.net
People who still think c# is bad for game development might consider using asm instead of c++ because it "might" be faster, which is total bullshit, since all my apps I ever wrote where highly GPU dependant!

Nypyren gave a good quick overview of C#, but I just wanted to add a few things:
Quote:
Arrays will perform bounds checking on EVERY item-fetch/store operation. not just when you use the "System.Array" class, but even when you use int[] or float[]. Then I realized the compiler is actually using the System.Array class when you declare an array like that, and essentially using the Array.this[] indexer.

If you turn on optimization, the JITter is smart enough to turn off bounds checking for arrays in simple, properly formed loops, so there is usually no penalty. As you say, if you want to make sure no bounds checking occurs, you can always use C#'s unsafe-code blocks and some pointer arithmetic. On the other hand, if you want to absolutely guarantee that you won't run over your bounds, get an IEnumerator with the collection's GetEnumerator() method, then iterate.

Quote:
'unchecked' doesn't affect arrays, though.

Right. The checked and unchecked keywords either affect a block of statements or a single operation. More information here.

Quote:
foreach: for ArrayList, at least, your basic 'foreach' loop doesn't cache the size of the collection - it looks it up once per loop iteration.

This is only sort of true. Whenever the compiler can statically determine that the collection in question is a System.Array, there is no performance disadvantage to using foreach over for. If you compare the MSIL, the code that runs through the loop will be identical. For more complex collections like Hashtables, though, you do indeed pay a small performance penalty for using the IEnumerator generated by foreach. More information is here.

Quote:
I haven't gotten down to the level of figuring out how much overhead they have for thread-safe operations, but hopefully it's not too much.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here. If you want your code to be thread-safe, you have to do that yourself; the overhead would depend on how you implemented the code. The GC doesn't automatically make it thread-safe for you.

Quote:
C# Type Reflection: the "is" and "as" operators function by comparing a type-handle-integer to the type-handle stored by whatever managed object you're trying to look up. This is the fastest method that I know of for looking up "what type is this?" info.

Reflection is very powerful in C#. You can find out virtually anything about a class, or even modify a class's runtime behavior if you need to. It's possible to transmute any given program into any other program you could with enough reflection and attributes. I haven't looked into security much in this area, but I have to say I'm almost a little worried about the breadth of things that can be done using reflection.

Quote:
Original post by aaroncox1234
My problem with people saying that C# is slower is that, has it actually been slow for them? It's kinda trendy on these forms to criticize C# and Java for being too slow but I rarely see anyone doing something that would really need that speed difference. I recall that Quake 2 was rewritten in C# by some programming crew and it ran perfectly fine. And C# could obviously be used for more powerful games than Quake 2. Yet very few people could actually program something at the level of Quake 2.

Maybe you were talking about this ? Quake2 .net. I never heard about anyone converting it to C#. Actually the convertion was from C to C++.

Here is the performance info:
Quote:

However, usefulness only matters if the managed application has the performance you require. Running Quake II.NET in the timedemo test indicates the managed version performs about 85% as fast as the native version. The performance of the managed version was acceptable and testers did not notice a difference between the two versions. You can run the timedemo test by doing the following:

Quote:
Original post by Scared Eye
I would like to know if C# is any good for game development. I heard that it is alot slower than C\C++. I have also heard that in some cases(I\O) it is faster than C\C++, is this true?
Managed DirectX is suposed to give me the performance of C++ to C# in DirectX apps. If so then there is no reason to choose C++ over C#. I would also like to know any good links to C#/Managed DirectX resources.

THanks for your time.
S-Eye

C# is just as fast as C/C++ (maybe just about 1% slower). But if you are new to programming, I'd recommend you try VB.NET or boo ( http://boo.codehaus.org/ ) in addition to C#. They both run just as fast as C#, but are much easier to learn and use. Plus you will save many hundreds of dollars if you use the SharpDevelop development environment instead of purchasing Visual Studio .NET.

For Managed DirectX, there is a book by Tom Miller, but even though it came out this year it is already out of date. The DirectX team already changed their preferred way for handling events in their sample code. Download the DirectX SDK and check out the samples folder.

If you have to ask whether a given language (even one like Python with a reputation for being really slow and a design philosophy that emphasizes pretty much everything other than speed) is "fast enough" (as opposed to doing the necessary testing), then it is almost certainly fast enough for anything you are likely to need it for in the near future.

This topic is 4748 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.