[web] What's your favorite cheap domain name registrar?

Started by
11 comments, last by ClarionMedia 19 years, 4 months ago
Hey, I'm planning on buying a new domain name and I was wondering two things: 1) Is there any real difference between registrars? Why is one considerably cheaper than the other for the same domain name? 2) What have you used to register your own domain name(s)? Thanks!
- [email=atronic@gamebox.net]Alex Broadwin[/email]- Adroit Creations- My Journal- The All-Knowing One
Advertisement
GoDaddy is popular.
I haven't really compared registrars, and picked 1&1 out of a recommendation from people at work. I'm paying $6/year for my domain. It's cheap enough that I didn't bother to look for a cheaper place. Their administration interface is simple and clean, but I don't know if it's powerful. Maybe they really dumb things down, but I don't mind.

BTW, if you're considering signing up with them use my affiliate link so that perhaps I can get commission :D

It might not actually be cheap, but I trust gandi.net for meldstar.com since their terms aren't such that they own the domain and just lease it to you (unlike a lot of cheap domain registrars). It's 12 euros per year (works out to between $25 and $30 CAD depending on currency fluctuations, for me).

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

Quote:Original post by mutex
I haven't really compared registrars, and picked 1&1 out of a recommendation from people at work. I'm paying $6/year for my domain. It's cheap enough that I didn't bother to look for a cheaper place. Their administration interface is simple and clean, but I don't know if it's powerful. Maybe they really dumb things down, but I don't mind.

BTW, if you're considering signing up with them use my affiliate link so that perhaps I can get commission :D

Good deal! I signed up and used your affiliate link. I trust 1and1, too, since I've used them in the past.
- [email=atronic@gamebox.net]Alex Broadwin[/email]- Adroit Creations- My Journal- The All-Knowing One
1&1 is cheap, but I've always had problems with their servers being REALLY SLOW. Every time I have to update anything about the domain, I dread the experience of a simulated 56k. As soon as my free domains are about to expire, I'll transfer all the domains I have with them to my GoDaddy account. GoDaddy is only slightly more expensive and their servers are much more responsive IME such that I can' actually tell I'm using 3Mb broadband and not a 56k dialup connection.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Why would their server speed have anything to do with it? I was under the impression that when you register a domain name, it gets registered and propogated across the internet to all the various DNS servers. (assuming we're just talking about domain names, not hosting)
Alright for the last time, haha, whats the say on 1&1, i considered them for a long while because of there packaged deal, then im told they are bad, and now some people are saying they are good, wth?
I have hosting through http://www.globat.com that I'm pretty happy with so far. They have nice specials fairly often too.
I have some listed on my Wiki.

[Edited by - Rob Loach on December 16, 2004 8:08:16 PM]
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement