Sign in to follow this  

New Winamp GL Mini Contest

This topic is 4716 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey Guys, If you havent been up to date on our discussions on the contest documentaiton thread (http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=282887&PageSize=25&WhichPage=1), we have launched a new contest. This thread should serve as the place to find info on the contest while NeHe makes the switch to BSD. Contest Info: Here is a draft of the contest page that will hopefully go up soon (contains deadline info ect...thinking of extending the deadline to 14th...tell me what u think): http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~rramraj/Gamedev/winamp.htm A link to the winamp basecode to be used in the contest: http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~rramraj/Gamedev/winamp_gl.zip Prize Info (its the "world's smallest" 1 gig usb 2.0 key): http://www.pqimemory.com/products_IT.asp Some general contest documentation: http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~rramraj/Gamedev/Management.htm As well as ideas for future contests: http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~rramraj/Gamedev/Themes.htm Cheers, - llvllatrix

What do you guys think of the basecode?

Since I am not entering the contest, I'm going to spend my time improving the basecode as per your suggestions. The first things on my list are fixes for those bugs. If you guys have any suggestions, things you want explained (in the comments), and features you want to see added (libraries ect) feel free to post.

Whenever I finish a new version of the code I'll post it on this thread and indicate (via line numbers ect in the readme) where the changes were made. This way you can easily integrate the changes into your code.

Cheers,
- llvllatrix

Hey guys,

It looks like there might be a possibility for another prize. Question is for those of you who are not entering; What prize (if any) would make you consider entering? My prospects are a new video card (Geforce FX 5600), a dvd rw, or a mp3 player. Also open to suggestions (non-technological suggestions as well...).

If i do get another prize, would you guys prefer a first prize/second prize or a bundle for the first prize?

Cheers,
- llvllatrix

Guest Anonymous Poster
Stick to one prize and save the other for another contest?

Sorry not to have commented earlier, but since I'm on leave my net access is very limited.

Quote:
Original post by llvllatrix
What do you guys think of the basecode?

Basecode works great for me so far, although I'm using my own image loading routines (you don't seem to ever delete the textures you create - bug?). The only funny was something that has happen twice and I've got no idea as to why it happened: I compile the dll with no problems but winamp can't load it (just get a "failed to load plugin" or something like that error message). Restarting winamp/VC and deleting the dll didn't help and I could only resolve it by recreating the solution file. I'm using VC.net 2002 (standard) so maybe something in VC's conversion from the VC6 workspace is to blame. Really wierd...

Quote:
Original post by llvllatrix
If i do get another prize, would you guys prefer a first prize/second prize or a bundle for the first prize?

Make as many prize "levels" as possible. That way people will have more of a chance of winning something (as they could get second, third,... prizes) so will be more likely to enter. The more the merrier. [smile]

Hello.

Base code works great for me. Only thing is that I have to recompile, copy and reselect the dll everytime I want to test it. That is not very compatible with the way I work (recompiling and running every few lines...)

I don't think you should bundle the prize to get on big firstprize. Consinder two levels of prizes or save one for another contest.

Endre

Quote:

Only thing is that I have to recompile, copy and reselect the dll everytime I want to test it. That is not very compatible with the way I work (recompiling and running every few lines...)

You might be able to get around this inconvienience by having your compiler build the dll straight into the plugin directory. Which ide do you use? I'll document the workflow for doing this in the readme of the next release. Currently there is a detailed description of how to set up debugging in .NET or VC++ 6.0 in the readme...kinda related (hope that helps).

Here's another nifty trick that speeds things up a lot while developing for winamp; if you want to run the last visualization plugin that you selected (even from previous runs) just hit ctrl + shift + k. Will also document this time saving tip in the readme for the next release (feel free to post any other tricks for documentation :) ).

Cheers,
- llvllatrix

Looks cool :)

I love the quality of your textures. They look very professional. Does the snow move with the music (i noticed that if i stop the music, the snowfall pauses - but that might be because of the render function not being called)? It looks awesome -b (thumbs up).

Some creativityness:
It would be cool if you did the aurora borealis. You could use the spectrum_data to define the shape of the effect and the waveform_data to define the color.

More on the aurora:
http://www.geo.mtu.edu/weather/aurora/

Nice job,
- llvllatrix

Quote:

||v||atrix, I got the latest source from your link above. For some reason, winamp_gl.dsw points to D:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins which fails to build. I change the path to C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins and it builds ok. But when I go to use the plugin, it fails to load.

Do you have the previous base code? I was able to get one of your older versions to work.

... Ok I hand edited the files to point at the correct directory. I had to reinstall winamp, and the plugin is working again. I've seen it a few times. I think winamp keeps getting confused about the size of the rendering context.

Anyway, I got it working and was compelled to do an entry:
[NeheWinampMini_TimGraupmann.zip] (234k).

[Edited by - tgraupmann on December 27, 2004 11:38:35 PM]

||v||atrix:
Thanks for the tip! I just googled and yes, it seems to be the perfect thing. Although it would be much easier to implement with pixel shaders, maybe I could do software blitting.. Should be beautiful either way.
The textures were just flipped up in PhotoShop, ya gats to luv tah PhotoShop! [grin]
What do you think of something like glistening snow, now and then?

I found a bug in the basecode I guess: if you stop the music, move the mainwindow over the visualizationwindow, it turns black. Maybe when the music stops/pauses, it should jump back to the idle screen (your banner). That would be less weird to look at.

[Edited by - Pipo DeClown on December 28, 2004 2:59:19 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:

What do you think of something like glistening snow, now and then?

That would be awesome! I have a feeling this is going to be a great contest; thx for the support guys :)

Quote:

I found a bug in the basecode I guess: if you stop the music, move the mainwindow over the visualizationwindow, it turns black. Maybe when the music stops/pauses, it should jump back to the idle screen (your banner). That would be less weird to look at.

Thx for you help with the debugging; I really havent had the time to do some serious tests (sry guys). Keep up the good work :) I will for sure get a new release out on sunday with a lot of doc updates (in the readme). I'm also fairly confident about getting the bug black screen bug fixed. Still stumped on the fullscreen and setting bugs but I'll see what I can do (time to break out the reference texts and magnifying glass). Also going to future shop on sunday to pick up a second prize; yay for boxing day :)

Happy holidays,
- llvllatrix

Does anyone know how to access the spectrum data? I mean we are accessing [0][0], but how do we get the amplitudes for each frequency from 60db to 16k db?

If I knew that I could have had fancier output.

Yay for boxing day!

So the first place winner of our winamp contest will have their pick of either a 1 gig usb 2.0 key or...

A BFG GeForce FX 5500 overclicked videocard! It has 256MB onboard ddr, AGP 8x/4x with VGA and SVideo out and a lifetime warranty.

Should I post a new thread to advertise?

Merry Christmas and happy holidays,
- llvllatrix

Hey I was hoping for another Mini contest after this one. I was hoping for an Internet Explorer plugin contest? It would be another contest where the base code is provided. What do ya say?

I think if we don't get more than 10 entries, save the prizes for the next contest. I think if Nehe posts something on the front page we can get more participation. Let's extend the contest 2 weeks from whenever he gets around posting the notice.

Happy Christmas to all! [smile]

Development on my entry is going well. Maybe I'll post a screenshot sometime...

I'm still having problems with my plugin ceasing to work though, usually after making a project change (adding a new file, changing from debug to release mode etc.) Deleting the dll doesn't help and trying to configure the plugin causes winamp to crash.[depressed] The only workaround is for me to recreate my .sln from the .dsw file (I'm using VC.net 2002) and recompile. Very frustrating! Is anyone else having something similar as I'm really tired of redoing the solution all the time?

@tgraupmann
your issues sounded similar to what I've just described. What IDE are you using?

As for those who have posted their progress so far, very nice.

Good luck to all, and have a great new year!

This topic is 4716 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.