mobile game programming

Started by
3 comments, last by Winograd 19 years, 4 months ago
Hi there i am interested in mobile game programming and found that OpenGL ES is an OpenGL API for embedded systems. My question is as follows: 1.Can i use OpegnGL ES for EVERY mobile device(nokia n-gage...) 2.If i want to program graphical applications for mobile devices should i better use java 3d for embedded systems(i am not a friend of java, i use c++ but it would not be a problem for me if there are advantages) thanks for the replies.
Advertisement
Quote:
Can i use OpegnGL ES for EVERY mobile device(nokia n-gage...)

No. In fact I don't think there are any devices available at general retail that support GLES, but they are coming soon now (like within the next few months I belive).

Quote:
If i want to program graphical applications for mobile devices should i better use java 3d for embedded systems

Whilst a lot of mobile devices support J2ME (Java 2: Mobile Edition), they generally dont support any 3d capabilities.

What you need to understand is that most phones have processors that run at speeds of 50Mhz and under, with tiny amounts of memory (think KB, not MB). There just isn't the processor power available to do proper 3d on most phones. Unless you only want to target very high end phones I suggest you stay away from 3d for comercial apps for now. In a year or so I suspect we will start to see a few commercially available phones with decent 3d support, but untill then any 3d would have to be completly software renderered (and just to make things even more fun, most phones have no floating point math support).

Alan
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning." -Louis L'Amour
but there are mobile phones out now which have 3d games like the sony ericsson k700i or the the nokia n-gage which are available for 100 to 300 Euro.
The n-gage is kind of a special case as it was always designed to be a games machine as well as a phone handset. As fasr as I am aware the k700i doesn't have any special 3d capabilities.

To clarify what I meant, there are games out there now that have a 3d look, in the same manner that some NES games looked 3d. They are not true 3d in the sense of quake style textured polygons, which is also what I was talking about when I was saying this would probably be available soon.

There are some handsets/manufacturers that provide various polygon draw routines, but these are entirly implemented in software, and in my experience, are slow and not suitable for building a full game from.

Alan
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning." -Louis L'Amour
I think atleast on Japanese market they have NEC's mobile phones. Finnish BitBoys have developed a full blown 3D accelerator for mobile phones(, optionally integrated straight to the LCD-screen) and as far as I have understood NEC is a major client for them. So check what tomorows handhelds are capable of: BitBoys

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement