Mini-games

Started by
13 comments, last by Dakar 19 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by sunandshadow
Yes, by mini-games I mean small games that one might find inside an RPG. And there can't really be thousands of types of them, can there? There are racing games, fighting tournaments, pattern-making games (timed or untimed, from random pieces or a set that makes a specific pattern), shooters, bouncing-ball games, card games... I would be very surprised if there were more than 30 possible kinds of mini-games.

I'll take generic minigames for eleventy hundred brownie points.
ready, set, go!

1.- Timing (poke the nose! really, check wario)
2.- balance (keep the stack steady!)
3.- platform (old platform games were simple enough to be minigames of today)
4.- card games (i'd hardly call FF the king of minigames. look around.)
5.- rythm (small DDR bits)
6.- avoid (spy hunter and others)
7.- collect them all (in DK style)
8.- fight (in DK style again, clear all enemies)
9.- Sliding tile games
10.- dialog trees (if challenging enough, like insult swordfighting)
11.- tossing (golf, worms, scorched earth.. power gauge and bearing, hit target)
12.- time attack (clear regular game section in minimum time)
13.- racing ;) (kirby rail grind)
14.- reflex (kirby samurai and others, keep reaction time low)
15.- Mighty Towers of Hanoi
16.- catch falling pieces (tetris and derivatives)
17.- match pieces (puzzle bobble and others, can be mixed with 16)
18.- shoot stuff (space invaders, galaga and a long etc)
19.- ball / paddle games
20.- exit the maze
21.- avoid the guy chasing you
22.- bounce stuff in the air, affected by gravity (not same as 19 or 2)
23.- aim (target range, accuracy game)
24.- identify (many targets, classify quickly, like those lightgun games)
25.- memory (things are shown then you act by memory)
26.- luck games (slots, roulette, etc)
27.- track (visually track object, like that coin+3 glasses game)
28.- juggle (lots of simple stuff going on, think Tapper)
29.- boss fight (not like 8, this is complex single-enemy fight)
30.- mash (mash buttons as quickly as you can)
31.- simon (repeat longer and longer sequences by memory)

There. This is to sustain my following affirmation: There are as much kinds of minigames as there are kinds of full blown games: they're only limited by your imagination. Mix and match the above for a bajillion specific minigames.
Working on a fully self-funded project
Advertisement
Lots of FF7 mention but the minigame of being able to do a sandbox battle where you face 10 monsters with random handicaps was awesome. This idea would be fun to see in other genres.

Also the GTA3 and VC minigames were just awesome! The blow up the cars with the mini-rc, or the flame thrower, rifle, etc..

A mini game of where you are the enemy would also be fun. Imagine if you were the ghosts in pac-man, the black-ops in HL, etc..

Just some ideas at the moment [wink]. Goodluck!
Quote:Original post by Dakar
Quote:Original post by Garmichael

Also, for mini games, a mixing of several genres works well. You could disguise a slider puzzle as a shooter. Think of donkey kong. Its the basic foundation.Yoyu have a maze (Although and easy maze) and you have an arcade gameplay while inside that maze. Theres two objectives, and really only two objectives: Make it to the end, jump over barrels. Mini games shouldnt have many objectives. Pacman is another great example. Eat pellets, run from ghosts.

So, can you have a slider-rpg-rts? Given 8 combinations, I think you can have 128 different types of minigames... hmm.

If you look at that list of different types of minigames that Madster wrote up, one common element is persistant: VERY few objectives. All of those games have only one or two things you are trying to achieve..

I think it would be possible to make a slider-rpg-rts (in fact, Im already sort of comming up with a concept in my head), but with three styles of games rolled into one, itd be hard to narrow down the objectives. With RPGs alone, you have the objectives of Keeping everyone alive in battle, leveling up your party members, buying supplies, and of course, advancing the plot and finishing the game. Thats too many things to think about for a mini game. Well, I guess if you had one major mini-game (Like the card games in FF8 and FF9), it could be a bit more complex, but you still dont want to make a mini-game so in depth that it takes away from the main game.
Im losing the popularity contest. $rating --;
I'm with Madster on this one: there are as many varieties of mini-games as there are varieties of full games.

You could say someone's game is another person's minigame. All you need is to simplify the mechanics and objectives a bit.

For example, FF7, a RPG, contains a racing and a snowboarding minigame, and a semi-hidden dating sim minigame, among others. FF8-9 contain a card game, Devil may Cry and Kingdom Hearts contain shooters, Jak 3 contains shooters, races, treasure hunts, Day of the Tentacle contains Maniac Mansion as a mini-game, and Wario Ware is itself a game built with mini-games (and 200 of them! The Mario Party series also kinda follows this system).

Possibly some of these kind stretch the mini-game definition a bit, but they're a good example of the mix'n'matching that is possible.
Quote:Original post by Dakar

Also, for mini games, a mixing of several genres works well. You could disguise a slider puzzle as a shooter. Think of donkey kong. Its the basic foundation.Yoyu have a maze (Although and easy maze) and you have an arcade gameplay while inside that maze. Theres two objectives, and really only two objectives: Make it to the end, jump over barrels. Mini games shouldnt have many objectives. Pacman is another great example. Eat pellets, run from ghosts.

So, can you have a slider-rpg-rts? Given 8 combinations, I think you can have 128 different types of minigames... hmm.

If you look at that list of different types of minigames that Madster wrote up, one common element is persistant: VERY few objectives. All of those games have only one or two things you are trying to achieve..

I think it would be possible to make a slider-rpg-rts (in fact, Im already sort of comming up with a concept in my head), but with three styles of games rolled into one, itd be hard to narrow down the objectives. With RPGs alone, you have the objectives of Keeping everyone alive in battle, leveling up your party members, buying supplies, and of course, advancing the plot and finishing the game. Thats too many things to think about for a mini game. Well, I guess if you had one major mini-game (Like the card games in FF8 and FF9), it could be a bit more complex, but you still dont want to make a mini-game so in depth that it takes away from the main game.

Well, how about this for a slider-rpg-rts: You play slider puzzles to form units to attack an enemy base (kinda like siege ). Then, wins let you get more power, which means more possibilities.

Your are right about the objectives. Minigames have an extremely simple goal. Maybe you could make one where previous games affect the current one. (In FF8, winning/losing affect your kinds of cards.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement