Sign in to follow this  

collision response problem

This topic is 4747 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I built up a collision engine based on this paper: http://www.peroxide.dk/papers/collision/collision.pdf My problem is with the response. The "sliding" response only seems to work on axis aligned planes. As far as detecting the intersection point, that works fine. I'm not sure if I'm projecting my velocity vector onto the sliding plane wrong or what. I'm posting from school, so I don't have my code on me to show what I've got, but could someone kind of go through the steps of the collision response given the intersection point and collided plane?

I also implemented the system in that paper. IIRC the paper includes source code and/or the complete source code is available somewhere online.

In any case, the first thing I did was just use his source code directly, to see the algorithm in action. Then I began writing my own version. That way, if something didn't work, I could compare my code to his and see how it was different.

Once I understood the algorithm well, I started over and wrote my own version using some different methods. But comparing to the working code from the paper was very helpful in the beginning. So I would check your code carefully against his and try to figure out where it deviates. It's hard to say what could be causing your 'axis-aligned planes' problem without seeing the code, but it sounds like it could just be a typo or something.

This topic is 4747 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.