Sign in to follow this  

Westwood College - Bachelor Degree Program in Game Software Development

This topic is 4747 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Have anyone attend this Westwood college for the Bachelor Degree Program in Game Software Development before??. I'd like to find out if this is a good Institute to get you in to the Game Industry... I am also planning to get BS of CS degree or in Math. I also heard about Fullsail but it's very far and I am not planning to move to another state yet... Well any input or advise will be great... Thank you everyone =)

I don't know about Westwood, but I thought that Fullsail and Digipen would be taken seriously...

I mean, in the game industry, they don't even require a CS degree usually. They always have that "or related field" part. So, you could be a game programmer even though you studied Math or Physics or Computer Engineering. (I'm a CompE myself, actually). So, if they accept guys like that, I don't see why a person who spent 2-4 years studying game programming specifically would be taken less seriously.

You might still considering doing a "traditional" degree though. Personally I hated my school, 80% of the material was stuff I really didn't care about, like analog signal processing and solid state electronics. Even in CS, you'll learn plenty of "theory" that doesn't make its way into practice much.. That said, doing a BS will make life easier if you want to go to grad school or get a "regular" programming job. (I assume many of us game industry types will eventually end up doing that; no matter how much you love it, lots of ppl get burned out or end up having to worry about their wives and kids)

roos

I have a really bad feeling about almost all of these unaccredited "game schools". My expectation is that you would go there for x number of years and drop y amount of cash (usually piles and piles and piles).

Later on (most likely the day before your interview), 60 Minutes does a blowout expose on how the entire school is some sort of giant sham operation and they hand out degrees no better than what you can get via spam, only for much more money.

This, of course, invalidates your degree.

I'm planning on just clinging to the fact that I'll have a degree from an accredited university (and chances are 60 Minutes won't wholly demolish the school's rep). I would recommend the same to anyone else, particularly the types of Nintendo fanboys that seem to think "But Digipen is the only school to learn to make games and it gives you everything you'll ever need!"

I think im going to be attending Collins College in AZ. Two of my senior friends are going after this school year, one to get a Bachelors in network development and another in game design. I heard they had a great gaming program out there. If i do go ill probably get a BD in game design. After that im going to go to another tech school, probably ITT, and get an Associates in computer programming. The thing about it is all of this is going to be cheaper than going to a convention college. The amount that i was estimated while attending college was spending around 10k a year. thats the schooling and apartment. the apartment was figuring only one person living in it but if i go me and my friends are staying together. In all, i think convention colleges suck. I dont think anyone should attend if there thinking about making games. Sure it might make you a more "well-rounded" person but if you owned a big corporation like sony or nintendo. what people would you want someone who could recite literature or someone who could program hell to freeze. Well i guess thats just my thoughts anyway.

This topic is 4747 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.