A Simple 3D Navigable World

Started by
5 comments, last by sand_man 19 years, 4 months ago
Hey guys, new here. I've got some programming background and I'd like to start a small project. The problem is i've never worked with DirectX, ActiveX, OpenGL, Direct3D, or any of these things. I've got some 3dsmax background as well. What I need to learn how to do is to combine the coding aspect with the graphical/tangible aspect of games. So what i'd like to do is create a simple landscape (made in 3dsmax i would assume..) that can be viewed in a windowed setting (not fullscreen) and can be navigated via a camera (arrow keys). Can someone point me in the direction of a tutorial that would explain parts of this or give me some direction as to how I would go about doing this? Thanks, Kevin
Advertisement
The opengl series on NeHe would certainly be helpful.
----------------------------------------------------"Plant a tree. Remove a Bush" -A bumper sticker I saw.
and more specifically, lesson 10
Well I think there's definitely enough information on those sites to keep my lips wet for quite some time to come.

Thanks guys, i'll let you know if anything good comes of it :o

-Kevin
Another question... 3D Engines, I was looking at Ogre. Is using a 3D Engine required... or is it more of a simplification for repetitious OpenGL Programming? In other words, can I code something using just C++ and OpenGL type functions or do i need to use some type of a 3D Engine.. thanks.

-Kevin
A 3D engine is really just a flash name for the core systems of your code (a 3D engine would be the rendering related code for instance). If you're doing the NeHe tutorials then you shouldn't be too concerned with engines right now. In those tutorials you effectivly are writing an extreamly simple engine. (I don't know if others would agree or not, but thats how I see it)

-J
3D Engines like Ogre have basically done the hard work for you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement