Sign in to follow this  

template inheritance check

This topic is 4748 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote:
Original post by 0xCHAOS
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

what code could I add to C to enforce that T must derive from D?

If you have boost:

#include <boost/utility/enable_if.hpp>
#include <boost/type_traits/is_base_and_derived.hpp>

class D {};

template < typename T
, typename Enabler = void
>
class C;

template < typename T >
class C< T
, typename ::boost::enable_if< ::boost::is_base_and_derived< D
, T
>
>::type
>
{
/* your class definition goes here */
};

This will work for both public and non-public bases. It makes it so the definition is literally only defined if T derives from D. If you want to have it only work with public bases, use ::boost::is_convertible with a pointer to T and a pointer to D instead of ::boost::is_base_and_derived.

If your compiler isn't compliant with SFINAE, you can also use a BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT inside the class definition instead of selective partial specialization.

Polymorphic_OOP - I'd probably use boost's static assertions instead of mucking with MPL:

#include <boost/static_assert.hpp>
#include <boost/type_traits.hpp>

class D {};

template<class T>
class C
{
// need two (()) because of the comma
BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT((::boost::is_base_and_derived<D,T>::value));

// your code here.
};

And I believe you meant Partial Template Specialization, not Substitution Failure Is Not An Error.

Quote:
Original post by Fruny
Polymorphic_OOP - I'd probably use boost's static assertions instead of mucking with MPL

Actually, the code I provided doesn't even use mpl Fruny (though it uses the abstract concept of a bool metavalue). Even still, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it if I did use mpl in the example -- it's a beautiful library. The reason I only suggested static assertions as an alternative to enable_if is because, in my opinion, enable_if more clearly defines the situation. A selective specialization means, quite literally, that the type isn't defined when you pass those template parameters, whereas a static assertion means that the type is defined with error. Selective specialization also often gives a more concise error message.

Quote:
And I believe you meant Partial Template Specialization, not Substitution Failure Is Not An Error.

No, I meant SFINAE. That's how enable_if works. It will only partially specialize if the condition is met, since if the condition is false, substitution will fail.

arg... I keep trying to post a message explaining a problem I'm still having, but it seems the forums get messed up for a few moments every time I do, so heres a link to the post I'm trying to make:

Ah, so somebody did see that totally failed post before I deleted it [lol]. I was a bit tired and not thinking clearly and that version was totally flawed - it doesn't cover derived types at all. Instead I'll offer this:
class D {};

class F : public D{int i;};

class E {};

class True
{
char m;
};

class False
{
unsigned long m;
};

class NoType
{
};

struct Type
{
typedef bool result;
};

template <typename T>
True IsSame(T*, T*);

template <typename T, typename F>
False IsSame(T*, F*);

template <typename D, typename T>
struct DerivedFromImpl
{
static D d;
static T t;
static const bool result = sizeof(IsSame<D>(&d, &t)) == sizeof(True) || sizeof(IsSame<T>(&d, &t)) == sizeof(True);
};

template <bool Switch, typename R1, typename R2>
struct Select
{
};

template <typename R1, typename R2>
struct Select<true, R1, R2>
{
typedef R1 result;
};

template <typename R1, typename R2>
struct Select<false, R1, R2>
{
typedef R2 result;
};

template <typename D, typename T>
struct DerivedFrom
{
typedef typename Select<DerivedFromImpl<D, T>::result, Type, NoType>::result result2;
typedef typename result2::result result;
};

template < typename T >
class C
{
private:
typedef typename DerivedFrom<T, D>::result mustDeriveFromD;
};

int main()
{
C<D> ok;
C<F> ok2;
// C<E> fail;
}

I make no guarantee of its correctness or portability, but it seems to work on GCC, BCB and VC++. Most of the ideas are copied from the boost source, but I had to find workarounds for things that I still don't know why they didn't work - or even why boost does it that way in the first place!

Enigma

I can't use that method because it creates static instances of both D and T, and these are singleton types. However, I just stumbled upon an amazingly simple solution: adding the line

SingletonBase * pb = s_inst;

in both the GetInst ( ) and AddDependency ( ) methods.

Anyhow, thanks for the help!

This topic is 4748 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.