[java] "Lightweight" Free Java Database

Started by
4 comments, last by tebriel 19 years, 4 months ago
Anyone know of any alternatives from MySQL for use on a Windoze system? There's something called "Mini SQL" but it doesn't really support JDBC. (There is supposedly a JDBC driver for it but I have yet to discover where it is if it still exists.) Even if there is I'm not sure "free hobby use" is really covered in the license anyway. If possible I'd like something that's easily (and freely) distributable that isn't going to take a DBA (exaggerating) to install to other systems (think: very simple install). Is MySQL really the closest thing to a VERY basic functionality database out there? (Only for doing selects, inserts, deletes, and not much else...)
Advertisement
There are quite a few of these some are reasonably fully-featured. All have less configuration effort than using a separate server process (like MySQL etc), and may have lower overhead for queries (although of course, they may be less well optimised for large databases or complex queries).

The ones I know about are

Hypersonic (may be closed-source / restricted now) - there is an open source fork of it (it was fairly complete before this fork was made)

Cloudscape / Derby - originally closed-source owned by IBM, they've now open-sourced it as "Derby" or something.

Daffodil - another one

Mark

Thanks, I'll check those out.

I've kept looking and managed to find this possible goldmine:

http://cbbrowne.com/info/rdbmssql.html

Not sure how many of these will work easily with Java but it's a long enough list!
I like hsqldb.

Quote:
HSQLDB is the leading SQL relational database engine written in Java. It has a JDBC driver and supports a rich subset of ANSI-92 SQL (BNF tree format) plus SQL 99 and 2003 enhancements. It offers a small (less than 100k in one version), fast database engine which offers both in-memory and disk-based tables. Embedded and server modes are available. Additionally, it includes tools such as a minimal web server, in-memory query and management tools (can be run as applets) and a number of demonstration examples.
Yeah, if you want a lightweight and easy-to-abuse database, you can't go far wrong with HSQLDB. Really small, easy to understand, simple deployment of data files. It might not have all the power of MySQL, Oracle, Sybase etc, but it'll do everything most people want.

--cfmdobbie
Haha, I just came here to say that I decided to use hsqldb (sourceforge project).

It's definitely what I was looking for!!!

(I think this is the open-source version of Hypersonic mentioned above by the way--that's how I found it.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement