Linux for programming

Started by
31 comments, last by superpig 19 years, 4 months ago
Hey guys and gals, I would like to know, in your opinions, what is the best version of linux I should run in order to program with. I will be installing it on an old Pentium 133mhz, 32mb ram, 2GB hard drive. I am not looking for lindows live,knoppix, or any other cd boot types. I would like to do a HD install and develop my programs on it. I plan on using whatever linux C/C++ compilers there are, I think the GNU C++ one. I already I have my windows programming box setup, so I would like some advice on a linux os before I choose one. I would like it to be fairly *easy* to install, but I dont mind a few challenges [wink]. Thank you for your time! - Drew
Advertisement
Debian. I would say hands down, but some people would point out that slackware would work on that system as well.

Be sure not to download any of the CDs, however. Get the netinstall disk. And make sure you upgrade (or install) the testing distribution, not stable.
Quote:Original post by C-Junkie
Debian. I would say hands down, but some people would point out that slackware would work on that system as well.

Be sure not to download any of the CDs, however. Get the netinstall disk. And make sure you upgrade (or install) the testing distribution, not stable.

Am I on the right page here? or should I be here: http://www.debian.org/distrib/floppyinst
Yep. That'll even install the testing distribution for you. Excellent.

Go with one of those.
Well, if you want a run of the mill distro, use either debian or slackware, but if you want excitement and drama, use Gentoo!

For those who love to wait, or tediously type for hours on end, Gentoo is the way to go.

Seriously though, if you would also like to learn a lot about Linux as well, Gentoo will probably teach you the most, and will teach it to you fairly quickly. It's tough to install, but if you go to http://www.gentoo.org/ and check out the documentation, you'll see how much hand holding they do along the way. Just plan to spend several hours just doing the basic install. The big advantage for your hardware though, is that everything is compiled specifically for it, and only including the libraries that you want to include.

So, if you're a lazy slacker, try something else, but if you want to learn, install Gentoo.

Cheers
Quote:Original post by ryanmfw
For those who love to wait, or tediously type for hours on end, Gentoo is the way to go.
Or a ricer. That's about it.
Awesome! Thanks!
On such an old machine, Vector Linux is probably the most usable. It is Slackware-based (so packages aren't perfect) but it is tuned for low-spec machines like your P166.

One note: If you like GUI applications, double that RAM. I'd be surprised if XFree86 would even start without going into swap.

Linux rules. Good luck!
Gentoo is the answer to *all* your problems. :-)
=========================Buildium. Codium. Fragium.http://www.aklabs.net/=========================
And if you want customization beyond your wildest dreams, try LFS . Basicly build your own distro. And if you stick to instructions it's really piece of cake (though that custom part suffers then a bit ;) ). It's GREAT for learning the insides of GNU/Linux environment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement