Linux for programming

Started by
31 comments, last by superpig 19 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by bobstevens
I'd recommend Ubuntu. It's Debian but better.

I'm currently using Ubuntu, the only problem I've found is there's some incompatibilites in the universe packages for things like Mono, which is annoying if you want to do .NET development.

But Ubuntu is pretty nice if you've never used Linux before (like me).
Advertisement
I'd recommend Gentoo, too. Though having seen the configuration of your PC makes me fear of the compilation time. However, it is possible with gentoo to compile it on a faster machine and then just copy it to a slower one. I do it so.
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:Original post by MikeMJH
My, my, why such hostility towards Gentoo.
It's a reaction to the snobbery and misguided notion that building everything from scratch is a productive use of time and/or computing resources, or that it provides a performance boost because it's "customized". All it does it delay the onset of productivity.

An operating system exists to get out of the way.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I despise gentoo because back when I used slackware, the newsgroup got raided by several gentoo trolls who proceeded to proclaim the god of distros to have arrived.

Gentoo envangelism has looked like nothing but trolling ever since.

It's helped by the fact that its evangelists tend to be either ricers, or clueless newbies. Ricers I despise. Clueless newbies are okay, except when they start advocating something.

That said, the gentoo developers I've seen on various mailing lists appear to be respectable. No clue why they're mixed up with such a crazy distro. [wink]
Quote:Original post by evolutional
Quote:Original post by bobstevens
I'd recommend Ubuntu. It's Debian but better.

I'm currently using Ubuntu, the only problem I've found is there's some incompatibilites in the universe packages for things like Mono, which is annoying if you want to do .NET development.
Seriously?

I'm not sure which I'm more surprised over. Mono being in universe, or mono being broken. Hmmm. If first-class support for Mono isn't planned for Hoary, I'm going to have to reconsider my "best distro out there" branding... (edit: Mono is on Hoary's supported list Ubuntu still rocks)
There's a faq for a reason :p
What did this tell you?
I think I need to add DSL and Beatrix there.. Maybe a few others as well..
Quote:
here's how the distributions in the database match up to your choices:
Distro name Match %
Mandrake 5/11: 45%
Fedora 6/11: 54%
Knoppix 6/11: 54%
SuSe 5/11: 45%
Debian 9/11: 81%
MEPIS 6/11: 54%
Gentoo 7/11: 63%
Slackware 7/11: 63%
Ubuntu 10/11: 90%
Vector 9/11: 81%
Arch 8/11: 72%
Ark 7/11: 63%
LFS 7/11: 63%
EvilEntity 6/11: 54%

Based on these results we recommend you to try(if you haven't tried it yet):
Ubuntu

Awesome! Rating++ [wink]
I just tried ubuntu warty for a week and it's gui is a bit unstable. I had nautilus problems ie. not displaying files sometimes, weird theme issues, freezes, etc. I've also noticed that mandrake is the most popular distro but that it take lots of hw to run nicely. Damn Small Linux is more streamlined like 50megs to download and runs in 200meg range on hd I think. But I love gnome desktop of ubutnu and themes and that requires more resources to run. It's sluggish on 1ghz/128ram but I think folks say the more ram the better. Try DSL and if it's slow then get basic linux 3 I think it's called, it takes like 5megs on hd and 20 megs of ram. Not sure about the final c++ tools when they're installed but desktop linux likes more ram than my win98 does. I think all these new distros are very resource hungry and that won't change.
Quote:Original post by C-Junkie
I'm not sure which I'm more surprised over. Mono being in universe, or mono being broken. Hmmm. If first-class support for Mono isn't planned for Hoary, I'm going to have to reconsider my "best distro out there" branding... (edit: Mono is on Hoary's supported list Ubuntu still rocks)

Well, it's like this:

Mono is in the warty universe at version 1.0.1; there's no monodevelop, XSP or mod_mono packages. In the hoary universe, the packages are somewhat upgraded - when i first installed it I could throw in monodevelop, xsp and mod_mono with litle trouble - but they must have upgraded the packages or something because on a FRESH install of Ubuntu monodevelop has missing dependancies. What's worse, mono seems to change significantly from version ot version to it's hard to compile a source build of say xsp, monodevelop or mod_mono that works from a base package (warty, hoary or that other repository). My problem is probably because I'm wanting all of the mono packages, including XSP and mod_mono - to get it working as I want I'll have to do a full source compile I think.

But other than that, I've had a very positive experience with Ubuntu - if you want to use t for programming you'll have to pull down the g++, Anjuta (etc) packages yourself but other than that - it's great. It's my first Linux distro I've used seriously (Redhat 7 being one several years ago) and it's eased me into the *nix world nicely :)
Quote:Original post by j0seph
I'd recommend Gentoo, too. Though having seen the configuration of your PC makes me fear of the compilation time. However, it is possible with gentoo to compile it on a faster machine and then just copy it to a slower one. I do it so.

gentoo has also precompiled packages thus you can cut down compilation time to a minimum. haven't used them yet though as my pc is quick enough.

Life's like a Hydra... cut off one problem just to have two more popping out.
Leader and Coder: Project Epsylon | Drag[en]gine Game Engine

Quote:Original post by RPTD
Quote:Original post by j0seph

gentoo has also precompiled packages thus you can cut down compilation time to a minimum. haven't used them yet though as my pc is quick enough.

Yeah, I know about it. It's a rather clever idea to use pre-compiled binaries on slower machines.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement