Sign in to follow this  

conceptual game design question

This topic is 4742 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

OK, Just getting into game dev (as a hobby), been doing web dev for years (.net), and I have a conceptual question on game engine design. I'm developing in C# and MDX, and have gotten pretty far in 3 weeks. Starting on a 2d scrolling RPG. I have a tile map that loads from .txt file. Map is comprised on 32x32 sprites. I can load the character sprite with walking anims, load other sprites to the screen as well, and display text. I also have background music and sound FX running. Just finished my collision detection, so I'm happy so far :) But, now I'm ready to start implementing additional screens (inventory, battle, character, etc., etc.). My question is this, should I dev a separate form (class) for each type of screen, or just have a different render method for each screen type all in the same class? Just thought I would get some input before I get too far into my engine.

personally, i would have each screen be a seperate class. An RPG is very menu-driven and relies on a variety of subscreens. For other simpler types of game UIs, i would simply rearrange the widget layout, but subscreens will probably all work and function differently, thus the need to have different classes with different internal mechanisms.

just my two cents. There are plenty of ways to skin a GUI ;-)

This topic is 4742 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.