Visual don't stop at breakpoint

Started by
8 comments, last by uto314 19 years, 4 months ago
Hi, I run Visual C++ .Net (V7.1) with the intel compiler 8.0. I have no I idea about what might cause this trouble. Whereever I put a break point, visual don't stop, even at the first instruction of the main function. I was adding some file to my project when that was begun. I tried to re-create the project from scratch, same trouble. I copyied the project's directory on an other computer, same problem. Does anyone have an idea about what could be the origin of this trouble, or if I might miss a setting point... Thanks, -uto-
- a human beyond the bug -
Advertisement
I've had this problem in release builds. I think it is because optimization can confuse the debugger since assembly code no longer matches 1:1 with the source code after optimizations, so it might not know where in the assembly to put the breakbpoint or something like that.
Make sure you're debugging using debug builds AND executing it via 'run with debugging' (F5 w/o control)
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
I had that same problem a while back, it was because the compiler was set to "release" instead of "debug"
The project setting "release" doesn't do anything special, other than change a bunch of other settings. The problem you're likely having is that you need to set the compiler to generate debugging symbols (program database) even when in release mode.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by Neil Kerkin
I had that same problem a while back, it was because the compiler was set to "release" instead of "debug"

If you are using VS7, like he said, it *should* warn you of illegal breakpoints (when you are in release mode), so I dont think that is his problem.

uto314, can you post some code to see if we can see why its not breaking - more than likely it could be a logic error - depending on your code (ie: using sdl,dx,ogl, something of that sort).

I also agree with Extrarius that you should make sure you are "executing it via 'run with debugging' (F5 w/o control)". Ive set breakpoints before and forgot to hit the debug key and was so frustrated b4 I realized my error. (Hey its not *always* m'softs fault [wink])
Hi everybody,
thanks for your reply,
Actually that's not my problem but the one of my co-worker (ok I know, people uses to say that to don't seem stupid, but this time that true :)). I have to wait him to see exactly his project config.
Anyway, at least I know that the project is in debug mode, but I don't know if the debug symbolgenerated. I'll check that with him and let you know.
Thanks again,
-uto-

ps : I can't give you some code, there is a lot. Then I use OpenGL, Qt, Jpeglib and tifflib.
I'll ask him to process step by step, first check the project settings as you said, then starting just with a simple main file and add the file almost one after one (it might be long but it's deterministic :)).
i've had related problems in the past. i think it was because the debug build was linking with release build object code (sloppy). i selected both modes and cleaned them, then rebuilt with debug mode... i think. 'twas a pain, but i eventually beat the IDE into submission.
the target compiler is Intel C++ compiler 8.0,
but do you if there is an option to specify the target debugger, because I think that the target debugger is the intel one...and that might be why the visual debugger don't stop...
-uto-

[Edited by - uto314 on December 17, 2004 5:45:07 PM]
I have this problem also... I find that it won't break sometimes, but if I stop and re-execute the program then it breaks, which is freaky...
__________________________________Peter Lewis ([email=me_AT_pjblewis.com]E-mail[/email] | Portfolio)
New info :
if I put all the files in the same directory that's work...
What the ...k with this project ?
-uto-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement