Books of worth

Started by
6 comments, last by nickelplate 19 years, 4 months ago
I was just wondering if anyone can reconmend any good books that go over some of the techniques a good graphics programmer is expected to know in the upcoming generation of technology. I tend to understand the difference between different techniques, but it just seemes like every week there's something new out. Are there any books that sort of catalog graphics techniques and perhaps gives the pros and cons of them?
Write more poetry.http://www.Me-Zine.org
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by INVERSED
Are there any books that sort of catalog graphics techniques and perhaps gives the pros and cons of them?

one word for you Real-Time Rendering (2nd Edition)

You may also want to get & read before that (not necessary however)

Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice in C (2nd Edition)
snk_kid's beaten me to it. Those two books are something every graphics programmer worth his salt should have on his bookshelf.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

That depends very heavily on how you define "the next generation." To be fully prepared for the future, I strongly advise you get familiar with techniques like raytracing and photon mapping. Jensen's book on photon mapping is pretty much the resource for that technology. Raytracing in general is somewhat hard to find books for these days, but a good Google scouring can turn up plenty of downloadble papers and other resources.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

A good book on ray tracing is 'Realistic Ray Tracing (2nd ed.)' by Peter Shirley & R. Keith Morley. Makes a nice complement to Jensens book for introductory material. There really is no substitute for scouring citeseer and google for interesting papers though ;)
Good stuff, I think I'll strt with the Real-Time rendering and thn move from there. Thans for the suggestions.
Write more poetry.http://www.Me-Zine.org
Realtime Rendering has an awesome website as well. There are tons of links to great resources there.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Quote:Original post by JuNC
A good book on ray tracing is 'Realistic Ray Tracing (2nd ed.)' by Peter Shirley & R. Keith Morley. Makes a nice complement to Jensens book for introductory material. There really is no substitute for scouring citeseer and google for interesting papers though ;)

Indeed. There is also "Advanced Global Illumination", by Philip Dutré, Philippe Bekaert & Kavita Bala. An excellent resource for anyone who wants to learn about global illumination algorithms imo.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement