Sign in to follow this  

hide a button

This topic is 4749 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

With the Windows API How does one hide a button on a dialog box? Using a SendDlgItemMessage? I would assume it's some SHOW or VISIBLE thing, but can only find methods of altering button styles... So how does one hide/show a button? How does one enable/disable it(gray it out)?

Funkymunky,

yes, use the SendDlgItemMessage and use the WM_SHOWWINDOW message. check out msdn for more. As for graying an item, for instance a menu item, you would send the WM_MENUSELECT notification, and once again check msdn for more info.

-brad

Quote:
Original post by Funkymunky
With the Windows API
How does one hide a button on a dialog box? Using a SendDlgItemMessage? I would assume it's some SHOW or VISIBLE thing, but can only find methods of altering button styles...

So how does one hide/show a button? How does one enable/disable it(gray it out)?

You can also accompish it like this *I believe*:

HWND hwnd; // handle to the button
ShowWindow(hwnd, SW_HIDE) // to hide
ShowWindow(hwnd, SW_SHOW) // to show
EnableWindow(hwnd,true) // to enable
EnableWindow(hwnd,false) // to disable

If im wrong I'm sorry, I remember doing this before via MFC, but these functions are Win32 API, so they should work. You should be able to save the button HWND when you create it, if I remember Win32 programming. I hope this helps! Goodluck.

Drew,

Those will work for non-dialog windows. Dialog windows need the SendDlgItemMessage sent, because it requires the IDI_* value for which window in the dialog that needs to be changed.

-brad

This topic is 4749 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.