Sign in to follow this  

[web] A question about web hosting...

This topic is 4746 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to host a web page from my own computer, but I want it to be accessed using my IP address, not through a domain name. For example, I want to be able to type http://24.29.54.215 in a web browser and have it pull up the index.html file I have on my hard drive. My question is: In what directory should I place the html file? And also, are there any settings I have to change to allow this? (Im using windows XP). Thanks ahead of time!

you'll need a webserver for this
i'd recommend apache. it's the best there is and its free
get it here

after you've set it up, you should have a htdocs folder somewhere (likely in the apache directory). put your website there

also, make sure your firewall allows incoming connections on port 80!

If you had a webserver up and running, you'd only be able to access it via the IP address anyway. The way you wouldn't is if you had a router or firewall and didn't open the port (port 80).

If you use windows standard web server IIS, you jsut need to go into computer managment, and somewhere in there on the left there is a section for IIS, which allows you to set up what folder to use for the web site. Like all websites you should have a index file (index.html normally) and just put normal html in there.

I don't have access to an IIS right now so i can't go into too much detail as I can't remember, but I hope that helped.

-J

EDIT: oh yeah I would also recomend apache also, its jsut IIS can be installed with windows and might be a easy simple start..

Which web server are you using? You should place the index file in your HTTP root directory, IIRC under IIS it defaults to C:/InetPub/wwwroot/. I'm not sure of the default with apache under Windows, but on either server you can specify your own root directory. You have to ensure that your firewall is set up to allow incoming traffic on port 80 (or whichever port you specify for your HTTP server - the default is 80). If you're on a router, you'll need to set up your NAT rules too, but for a single PC connected to the network you shouldn't have to do all this. The most you'd probably have to do is set the Win XP firewall to accept requests on the HTTP port.

Some broadband providers don't let you run HTTP servers, so check with them before you do any of this or you could find yourself voiding your contract with them.

If you just want a http server for yourself (so you, yourself, can download files from your computer to another computer), then I like simpleserver

Requires like zero configuration. I wouldn't try it for any kind of real web server setup though.

Thanks for all the advice! I am using the simple server prog because it was really easy to set up. Could someone just go to this address for me to make sure it works properly?

http://24.19.54.215/

There's nothing on it right now, just a link to google.

Thanks!

This topic is 4746 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.