What made Tetris special?

Started by
31 comments, last by Deeelted 19 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by vnillabrent
It also has no correlation to the real world; ie. pong = tennis. I think that's why it's regarded as such a masterpiece.

Lies! I can't think of a day going by without using my powerful knowledge of Tetris helping me!

I never really did like Tetris, I guess i just 'missed' that band wagon. Although my generation is the shoot 'em up, must have super 3d graphics! (What you say? No realistic eye brow simulation? Is that even a GAME?! hehe) generation so.. maybe thats why. It's you old people and your love for wishing you were kids again! :P

-Limb
-Limb
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Uh... Nintendo GameBoy™.

The Nintendo GameBoy was cheap, portable, long-lasting, and came with Tetris. Between them, they made each other pop culture phenomena. The rest, as they say, is history.
"This I Command" - Serpentor, Ruler of C.O.B.R.A
Sorry that stupid random logout problem erased part of my post, I meant to ask what was the first system Tetris came out on as a kind of pop-quiz. (Hint: not the gameboy)
"This I Command" - Serpentor, Ruler of C.O.B.R.A
A good game is easy to learn, and hard to master.
i thought it was nintendo but through an unlicensed developer... i think the name was Tengen or something.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by zarthrag
Sorry that stupid random logout problem erased part of my post, I meant to ask what was the first system Tetris came out on as a kind of pop-quiz. (Hint: not the gameboy)

The computer. As to which one I am too lazy to find out.
Uh... Nintendo GameBoy™.

The Nintendo GameBoy was cheap, portable, long-lasting, and came with Tetris. Between them, they made each other pop culture phenomena. The rest, as they say, is history.

I think the Gameboy helped, but i dont think that the gameboy is why Tetris is the number 1 most copied game in the histopy of games. There are countless Tetris Clones. Also, most people that arent realgamers havent played the gameboy, yet most people have played a version of tetris.
Im losing the popularity contest. $rating --;
Quote:Original post by Garmichael
Ive been playing alot of my glassic games lately, trying to figure out the details of why they're better than other games.

While playing Tetris,I couldnt really put my finger on it. Why has tetris been a staple in the puzzle genre so long, and why arent other puzzle games anywhere near as popular?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Im thinking theres some psychological link to the way the pieces fit together; we like it because our brains understand it subconciously

Talk to someone woman, she will say "why?mm.. cause its easy, it have colors and it have a nice music ^^". In fact, you still can see people (specially women) playing Pacman or Puzzle Booble and both are best sellings.

And tetris is popular because it *can* be ported in almost any console, pc, arcade, cells, calcs...

-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
I think the Gameboy helped, but i dont think that the gameboy is why Tetris is the number 1 most copied game in the histopy of games. There are countless Tetris Clones. Also, most people that arent realgamers havent played the gameboy, yet most people have played a version of tetris.
You're missing the point. The GameBoy and Tetris became icons together, which helped popularize the idea of Tetris sufficiently for it to become the most popular game of all time. After the GameBoy, we started to see specialized handhelds that played nothing but Tetris. This was 20 years ago, just in case you're lacking the necessary perspectival distance.
You're missing the point. The GameBoy and Tetris became icons together, which helped popularize the idea of Tetris sufficiently for it to become the most popular game of all time. After the GameBoy, we started to see specialized handhelds that played nothing but Tetris. This was 20 years ago, just in case you're lacking the necessary perspectival distance.

Certainly Tetris became so incredibly popular due to the GameBoy (and vice versa), but that isn't the only element involved. Tetris is a very special game on any system, in a way that, say, Columns never was. I've seen two people compelled by Tetris that didn't realise the object was to complete lines. They thought the goal was to build a big wall without destroying any by making a line.

I can't quite explain that, but it's obviously a powerful game on some level. I do know that it is extremely finely tuned: Pajitnov spent a long time testing out possibilities, and although there are variant versions, anything that deviates from the seven tetronimoes and and a pit ten squares wide by twenty deep isn't really compelling.
[sub]Now I'm radioactive! That can't be good![/sub]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement