Sign in to follow this  

What's the deal?

This topic is 4741 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Visual C++ is just Microsoft's brand name for its C++ compiler. You're asking "Is a Ford better than a car?".
Visual Basic vs. Visual C++ (or just Basic vs. C++ in general) is a dangerous question to ask. Let's just say you should use the right tool for the right job.

Quote:
Original post by Kippesoep
Visual Basic vs. Visual C++ (or just Basic vs. C++ in general) is a dangerous question to ask. Let's just say you should use the right tool for the right job.

Which doesn't mean that VB is not suitable for game programming at all (I won't say it's "better" than C++, but it's not useless. Ease of use is a really good point, specially for a newbie). Just in case, take a look at VBGamer and see for yourself.

Quote:
Original post by VBBR
Which doesn't mean that VB is not suitable for game programming at all (I won't say it's "better" than C++, but it's not useless.

I never said that it wouldn't be suitable. Every language has its uses and its pros and cons. Asking whether one language is "better" than another in a forum is a bad simply because it tends to evoke "religious" wars.

Personally, I wouldn't use Basic to write Doom 4, but a better VB programmer than me might want to attempt it.

Basic is a rather simple language (in that it is rather easy to learn, not that it would be under-powered), which is indeed great for newbies (or if you need something done quick). Unfortunately, that also means that its easy to mess things up and there's a lot of awfully bad VB "programmers" out there. (For some great examples, check out The Daily WTF -- VB seems to be rather well represented there).

I was directing the answer to FridgeRaider. From your post I noticed you know VB pretty well to not say it's impossible to create games with it (like some people do).

Quote:
Original post by furby100
Unlike Visual Basic, "Visual C++" is not a language.

Just to sum up, Visual Basic is the name of the language, as well as the IDE. BASIC is the old language used back in the DOS times.

The language used in the VB IDE is Visual Basic, not Basic or BASIC.

Quote:
Original post by FridgeRaider
I was wondering why no one ever talks about Visual C++?

People talk about Visual C++ all the time. Constantly. Incessantly. Without stop. They never stop. Can't anyone make them stop!!? PLEASE MAKE THEM STOP!!!!

This topic is 4741 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.