Sign in to follow this  

Free tools

This topic is 4748 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering what everyone thinks are ideal *free* tools for budding game programmers. Tools that allow a game programmer to build resources for a complete game from scratch (apart from the API). Specifically, I was looking for tools in the following categories: 1) 3D Modeler: Can anyone recommend a decent 3d modelling tool that will allow me to quickly and easily create 3d models (including bones, keyframes, etc)? Maybe allow me to export in .x format too! 2) Art program for texturing: GIMP is one free art package. Any other good ones? 3) Sound API: FMOD seems to be popular, but any other good alternatives that can deal with most formats? I suppose I better toss this one in too: what's the best free IDE+Compiler combo currently, in your opinion? Feel free to recommend any other tool that a game programmer may find handy! I'll vote for the boost library and STLPort here! Both are certainly worthy tools to have in a programmer's arsenal!

3D modeler :
- Blender is a good one
- Wings3D (not tried)
- DeleD (not tried)
- Worldcraft, GTK Radiant and the others for map modeling

Audio libs:
- FMod (not tried, not free for commercial uses)
- BASS (not tried)
- OpenAL (surely more limited than the others but I quite like it)

As for the art, I suppose any 2d gfx software is good.

A quite good combination for IDE+Compiler is Eclipse+Mingw (under windows) you can also use Eclipse under Linux and mingw is gcc-compatible (I think). I previously used Ms Visual Studio 6 (not free) and now, I use Eclipse. It's quite good though I'm waiting for the CDT 2.1 which should improve some features.

Hope it helps.

Quote:
I suppose I better toss this one in too: what's the best free IDE+Compiler combo currently, in your opinion?

Quite good IDE is DevC++ - simple (but not too much), easy to learn, powerfull after you've learned few tricks (ie. what not to do if you don't want it crashed) and sadly not so stable :-/ (but it's getting better). DevC++ ships with MinGW which is GCC ported to windows.

Quote:

Feel free to recommend any other tool that a game programmer may find handy! I'll vote for the boost library and STLPort here! Both are certainly worthy tools to have in a programmer's arsenal!

Not strictly corresponds to programming, but... Firefox rules ;-) Windows Commander (aka Total Commander) is also very handy. I use Doxygen for automatic generation of documentation from comments in source code - neat.

This topic is 4748 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.