Sign in to follow this  

STD Vector Pointer

This topic is 4747 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a vector of my class CTileObj and in one function I pass the vector pointer to the function. I can access the vector class methods using the standard "->" but I cannot figure out for the life of me how to access the members of the classes in the vector. Is there even a way to do that. I hope I am making myself clearer with this example: (remember, Objects is a pointer to the vector) This works: Objects->size() These DONT: Objects[i].*Active Objects[i].Active Objects[i]->Active (Active is a public variable in the CTileObj Class which is what the vector contains) I hope that it is clear what i am asking here. If you have any ideas let me know.

Be aware that at performs bounds checking, whereas operator[] may or may not (and probably doesn't) depending on your implementation. It doesn't particularly matter which you use, but it's best to be consistent.

On another note, is there a particular reason you're passing by pointer? Passing by reference may be a better solution depending on what you're doing.

Enigma

References are equivalent to const pointers. A reference can only ever be bound to a single object. They offer certain advantages over pointers. A reference cannot be null. Reference semantics also use the traditional syntax of operator. and not having to take the address of an object to pass it.

#include <string>

class Object
{
public:
std::string member;
}

void passByValue(Object o)
{
o.member = "changed by value";
}

void passByPointer(Object* o)
{
o->member = "changed by pointer";
}

void passByReference(Object& o)
{
o.member = "changed by reference";
}

int main()
{
Object o;
o.value = "unchanged";
passByValue(o);
// o.value still equals "unchanged"
passByPointer(&o);
// o.value now equals "changed by pointer"
passByReference(o);
// o.value now equals "changed by reference"
}

For more information try The C++ FAQ Lite.

Enigma

Just on a note, if it is a constant pointer, doesnt that mean you CANT change the value (your pass by reference function changes the value), just an observation. Thanks, I will keep that in mind, but for now I don't want to rewrite the function to handle that, even though it wouldn't be hard. It is the thing, if it ain't broke, dont fix it. :) Cheers.

if you pass as reference as:

void passByReference(Object& o)

you can change the value, however, if you pass as const reference:

void passByReference(const Object& o)

you can't, so you have to use the one that is best for what you want to do, it is usually a good practice to change all functions that take an object (IE somefunc(CObject object)) to take a const reference (IE somefunc(const CObject& object)), this way the behaviour inside the function is the same, but you dont have overhead of copying the whole object into the stack.

It's equivalent to a constant pointer, not a pointer-to-const:
int main()
{
int integer = 7;
int anotherInteger = 9;
int* pointerToInteger = &integer;
const int* pointerToConstInteger = &integer;
int* const constPointerToInteger = &integer;
const int* const constPointerToConstInteger = &integer;
*pointerToInteger = 6; // OK - object pointed to is not const
pointerToInteger = &anotherInteger; // OK - pointer itself is not const
*pointerToConstInteger = 5; // ERROR - object pointed to is const
pointerToConstInteger = &anotherInteger; // OK - pointer itself is not const
*constPointerToInteger = 4; // OK - object pointed to is not const
constPointerToInteger = &anotherInteger; // ERROR - pointer itself is const
*constPointerToConstInteger = 3; // ERROR - object pointed to is const
constPointerToConstInteger = &anotherInteger; // ERROR - pointer itself is const
}

Enigma

Ok, I misunderstood. I get it now, I think I will try that out now that I understand why exactly it is better. Thank you all and good coding.

If anyone is interested or getting this on search, for reference, here is a good article I found about the differences between references and pointers:

Pointers vs. References

[Edited by - Aurvandil on December 17, 2004 10:16:52 AM]

This topic is 4747 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.