about SDL licence

Started by
9 comments, last by SoulSkorpion 19 years, 4 months ago
this is on the license page for sdl: Include the source code for the version of SDL that you link with, as well as the full source or object code to your application so that the user can relink your application, or Include a written offer, valid for at least three years, to provide the materials listed in option 1, charging no more than the cost of providing this distribution, or Make the materials listed in option 1 available from the same place that your application is available. does this mean that i can sell my game more than what is cost to ship the product as in 2 and must include the source as in 1,2,3?
Advertisement
The price of your game is unrestricted by this license.
but if i have to give up the source, why buy it instead of just downloading it.
read this
You don't have to give up the source.

All you have to do is put a "Download the source code to SDL" link right next to the "Download my game, after paying $1.2M", or put the SDL source code on your game's CD. or put a "write to 123 Fake st to get the SDL source sent to you for $5 S&H. Or you could just go download it" someplace on the CD.
I recommend you familiarize yourself with the terms of the LGPL, under which SDL is licensed. Dynamic linking with SDL satisfies the requirement that a user be able to modify SDL and have your game use the modified library, so distributing the source of your game is not necessary.

Cost of distribution covers the costs you incur in making SDL available to an end user. You can, for example, charge a user enough to cover the cost of burning SDL source onto a CD and mailing it to them, but you can not tack on an extra $15 for doing so just because you want to make a profit. This stipulation does not in anyway dictate what you can and can not charge for your game, however.
i think the link that vertexnormal and www.libsdl.org give is incorect

Quote:
The Simple DirectMedia Layer library is currently available under the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL) version 2 or newer. This license allows you to link with the library in such a way that users can modify the library and have your application use the new version.

The GNU LGPL license can be found online at:
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lgpl.html

the Lesser GPL is at http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html not http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lgpl.html
Quote:Original post by C-Junkie
You don't have to give up the source.

All you have to do is put a "Download the source code to SDL" link right next to the "Download my game, after paying $1.2M", or put the SDL source code on your game's CD. or put a "write to 123 Fake st to get the SDL source sent to you for $5 S&H. Or you could just go download it" someplace on the CD.

[LOL] That's the spirit!
cool
Also, static linking with SDL is a no-no, but this is somewhat disputed. Some people (including Loki) provide both statically and dynamically linked versions. You don't have to distribute the source to SDL if you use it unmodified. If you make your own changes to SDL, you have to provide source for them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement