Your three favourites!!!

Started by
77 comments, last by Benjamin Heath 19 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by bishop_pass
It's all about limits, isn't it?

Posts like yours provide excellent examples of someone taking a potshot from the bleachers, without actually contributing anything at all.

Do you have anything intelligent or insightful to contribute?

I'm not here to contribute, I'm here to moderate the thread. You're not a moderatore anymore BP, and if you continue this attitude with people, you won't be posting here much more either.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by bishop_pass
Quote:Original post by Samith
I like spaghetti westerns but don't know of any besides Sergio Leone's movies. Maybe you know some good westerns? I also like Gunfight At OK Corral which isn't a spaghetti western. I have yet to see Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid which I hear is really good and I still haven't seen The Wild Bunch which I also hear is really good.

What is it you like about Spaghetti Westerns over, say, the Westerns that are produced today? There's also a third kind of Western, and I would call that category the Old Western.

I've only really seen the Sergio Leone classics, but what I liked most about them was the lack of any definite "good guy." In The Good, The Bad, The Ugly there is no real good guy. Yes, Clint Eastwood is "the Good" but he's not a clear-cut good guy like in more traditional westerns. The generic good vs. evil plot gets pretty boring, and I like how the spaghetti westerns I've seen tend to mix it up a bit.

The other thing I liked about Sergio Leone's movies was the music. Ennio Morricone is really my hero. I loved the soundtrack to those movies. The other westerns tend to have a wildly different musical taste and I don't like it quite as much. Ennio Morricone's music seems more dramatic, and is much more memorable (the little whistle from The Good, The Bad, The Ugly theme is pretty much the definition of western style music).
1) Scarface
2) Fight Club
3) Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back
Wikipedia's List of Western Movies has a fair number, of which I've added some myself.

I generally prefer the recent ones, due to the higher production values and greater on location shooting, as well as the rules which forbid killing of horses as was done in the older movies.

Ones on the list that I like are: Dances With Wolves, The Desperate Trail, Tombstone, Jerimiah Johnson, Lonesome Dove, Open Range, Silverado, and Unforgiven.

Among the better actos in Westerns are Robert Duvall, Sam Elliott and Costner (yeah, Costner is pretty good in a Western).

Tom Selleck's Crossfire Trail is pretty good as well.
my 3 favorite movies are(i think of my favorite movies as ones i can watch over and over again)

1)matrix 1
2)swordfish
3)the net
My favourites -

1. The Mosquito Coast.
Mad Inventor (Harrison Ford) takes his family (including Helen Hunt and River Phoenix to live in the South American jungle. My favourite stories (book or film) are castaway/back-to-basics style ones and this is the only film I can think of that has done the genre justice.

2. RocketMan.
Mostly panned live-action Disney comedy about the first manned trip to Mars. I don't know why but this just appeals to my sense of humour.

3. Dawn of the Dead (original version).
There are tons of zombie movies that show what happens just as the world turns from normal to undead-infested. This is the best example of showing the hours, days and weeks afterwards and how a small group of people deal with the changed world. Where better to hole up and ride it out than a shopping mall?

If I could have a 4th and 5th they would be From Dusk Till Dawn and Star Wars.

Dan

Peewee Herman's Big Adventure. You don't need any other movies.

Well... OK, add in Donnie Darko and The Princess Bride.

shmoove
A Clockwork Orange / Dr. Strangelove (sorry, it's a toss up)
Network
Magnolia

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

Quote:Original post by Etnu
Network

Hmm. That's on my DVD shelf, but I've not yet brought myself to actually watch it. You reckon it's that good?

My top three movies... hmm. I'm not sure there are a clear three - there are lots of movies that I like, but they're all as flawed as each other. Donnie Darko might be above the rest, but that's mainly just because the flaws are disguised as deliberate weirdness.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I can't believe no one has mentioned Gladiator yet O_O! That is still my all time favorite ^_^.

so...

1) Gladiator
2) LOTR movies (really, counts as one :P).
2) Forrest Gump

If a movie really gets you emotionally involved with the character(s) so you really you really actually care, then its a good movie. I like a good emotional roller coaster (ie. Forrest Gump [smile]).

- Thomas Cowellwebsite | journal | engine video

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement