Will Computing End In Our Lifetime

Started by
42 comments, last by King of Men 19 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by frostburn
Quote:Original post by Maega
Quote:Original post by ace_lovegrove
Do you think that that there is any chance of running out of silicon?

If so, do you think this will push the development of the optical procesor?... which i believe is currently being researched.

ace

Silicon is supposedly on its way out. We can't go at our current rate of speed increase too much longer. Silicon chips will melt.

Someone posted an article here earlier talking about diamond (man-made or otherwise) being the new medium for computer chips.

Considering that Silicon melts at 1400 degrees C, while diamonds burns at 800 degrees C, it seems to me that diamonds might be a tad unsuited to replace silicon in computer chips [wink]

Where did you get that figure? :P.

Diamond has the highest melting point of all known minerals...
Advertisement
There is a difference between melting point and burning point. However, to burn you need access to oxygen; is the silicon in a computer chip exposed to air? If not, diamond might indeed be the better material.
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Quote:Original post by kSquared
Quote:Original post by Mithrandir
Quote:Original post by Drevay
I wonder if something, maybe not even in the near future, could happen like it did in The Day After Tomorrow which I recently saw during a horrific snowstorm. Made me antsy. :p

The Day After Tomorrow had the most insultingly stupid physics of any movie I've ever seen, barring The Core.

Which, is also on the site as well.

What a great site. I'd forgotten about how funny these are. Thanks a bunch, Mith.

"It seems to be the inescapable fate of one who pursues the demanding life of a climatologist." LOL
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
Diamond chip article

There is a link to a copy of the article I referenced earlier.
Quote:Original post by kSquared
Quote:Original post by Drevay
I wonder if something, maybe not even in the near future, could happen like it did in The Day After Tomorrow which I recently saw during a horrific snowstorm. Made me antsy. :p

The Day After Tomorrow had the most insultingly stupid physics of any movie I've ever seen, barring The Core.

Which, is also on the site as well.

What a great site. I'd forgotten about how funny these are. Thanks a bunch, Mith.

"It seems to be the inescapable fate of one who pursues the demanding life of a climatologist." LOL

My favorites:

"During its more scientific moments, the tornado scene teaches us important moral lessons. For example, never attempt acts of extramarital sex, take frivolous pictures, nor work as a news correspondent during big storms, unless you have a death wish."
-- Day After Tomorrow

"Not one to waste time, Keyes jumps straight to the bottom line: humanity is doomed and will end in a few months. The cause? Deadly microwave radiation will cook us since we'll no longer be shielded by the Earth's magnetic force field or what Keyes refers to as 'Earth's electro-magnetic energy field'. Keyes proceeds to demonstrate the effects of losing the magnetic field by lighting the aerosol from a can of hair spray and flaming a peach representing Earth."
-- The Core

"Construction of the subway-like ship, called Virgil, for traveling to the core involves the usual impossible feats of engineering. When asked for an estimate, the ship's inventor says it will take 12 years to complete. Instead it's done in only three months thanks to a generous infusion of government funds. Sure lots of money helps, but we suspect that accelerating the development of such radical technology would be like the old saying of trying to produce a baby in a single month by hiring nine pregnant women."
-- The Core

"The cast is rounded out by DJ Qualls who plays a stereotypical convicted computer hacker called Rat. He is brought on board for the critical task of preventing anyone on the Internet from precipitating a worldwide panic by posting theories about the impending disaster. Apparently, dead pacemaker patients, berserk window-smashing pigeons, bizarre space shuttle crash landings, monstrously powerful thunderstorms, the Golden Gate bridge collapse, unexpected nightly displays of the aurora borealis, and the total destruction of Rome, all in around three months, aren't enough to generate concern."
-- The Core

"The movie ends with Rat taking over a computer network so that it displays cutesy graphics and spams the world with news of the brave terranauts who have sacrificed greatly to save humanity from certain death. Why yes, we too believe everything in the unsolicited e-mail we receive. What Hollywood gives us in The Core is almost as convincing."
-- The Core

Genius. I just bought a t-shirt from them. =)
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
Quote:Original post by Crispy
AFAIK they can almost sustain a fusion reaction at present time - my memory is probably failing me, but I think they've found that hydrogen is the best fuel to excite the reaction and keep it running (which is good because it's cheap).
Well, duh. Why try to fuse anything else, it would be just be immensely more difficult.
“[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man” - Thomas Jefferson
ITER predict the first commercial fusion reactor by 2050. That's if they ever get round to choosing a site for their reactor.

Quote:Well there is hydrogen..
Just the irony is, with hydrogen, an awful lot of power is required to seperate it from oxygen in water..

Exactly the same ammount of power that you get from using it as a fuel. That's why hydrogen from water will only ever be a fuel, not an energy source (except in the case of hydrogen isotopes for fusion).
It is much simpler to fuse two deuterium nuclei than four hydrogen nuclei. I suspect you lot are confusing hydrogen and deuterium.
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Quote:Original post by King of Men
It is much simpler to fuse two deuterium nuclei than four hydrogen nuclei. I suspect you lot are confusing hydrogen and deuterium.

Isn't deuterium just an isotope of hydrogen? And does anyone know why it's easier to fuse two deuterium nuclei than it is with hydrogen?
The only people who honestly believe that there are no "feasable" energy resources aside from fossil fuels are those who are being manipulated by (or work for) the companies that have vested interests in said fuels.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement