Scientists say that the Asian tsunami displaced Earth's axis (another earthquake upd)

Started by
43 comments, last by Tron3k 19 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by Drevay
Quote:
* is compared to “detonating a million atomic bombs the size of those dropped on Japan during World War II.”

Bull-fucking-shit.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/4025150/detail.html
Quote:Enzo Boschi, the head of Italy's National Geophysics Institute, likened the quake's power to detonating a million atomic bombs the size of those dropped on Japan during World War II, and said the shaking was so powerful it even disturbed the Earth's rotation.
Rate me up.
Advertisement
Dunno', a million seems pretty far fetched.
_________________Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen. -- Winston ChurchillGDNet-0.2 - rate users the easy way with this nifty Firefox extension. Updated with new features.
Quote:Original post by Drevay
Dunno', a million seems pretty far fetched.

Well, guess what, your un-educated opinion is useless. Thanks, but no thanks.
Rate me up.
As powerful as the tsunami was, I doubt it will have any permanent effects on the Earth's rotation. The explosion of the Krakatoa volcano (on the island of Krakatau between Sumatra and Java) a century ago was far more powerful, and temporarily changed the earth's climate for half a decade. Some facts:

-- The explosion was heard across one-thirteenth of the earth's surface.
-- At least 36,000 were killed; over 165 coastal villages were destroyed.
-- After the eruption ended, only one-third of the island remained above sea level (it was formerly 50 square kilometers). New islands were created to the north where the sea was previously 36 meters deep.
-- Tsunamis over 40 meters high were generated, hurling ashore blocks of coral reef that had been torn loose. Some weighed as much as 720 tons.
-- Fine ash and aerosol were sent over 50 kilometers into the stratosphere. Sunsets were so vividly red that fire engines in New York, Poughkeepsie, and New Haven (on the other side of the globe) were repeatedly called to put out the apparent fires. The sunsets continued for three years.
-- Rafts of floating pumice that solidified after the eruption made their way across the Indian Ocean. Others reached Melanesia, and were still afloat two years after the eruption.
-- The volcanic dust veil also acted as a solar radiation filter, lowering global temperatures as much as 3 degrees Fahrenheit in the year after the eruption. Temperatures did not return to normal until 1888.

See here for more on what was arguably the most devastating geologic event in recorded history. The Earth's rotation did little then; I would argue that there's little to worry about now either.

In any case, all this worrymongering over the Earth's axis shifting is silly. Even if it is shifting, what are we supposed to do about it? It's not as though we can hire Superman to turn back time. And we can't take the Jules Verne/The Core approach and tunnel to the Earth's center, where we'll proceed to detonate atomic bombs to "restart" the Earth's rotation. (If you're wondering how a radial explosion can impart angular momentum, you're in the same boat as me in thinking that movie was stupid.)

Quote:Original post by Dmytry
i'm now is in very seismically-inactive place. Several months ago, there were minor earthquake(but quite noticeable), and enough to make things in house produce some bit scaring noises. (and closer to epicentre, several buildings was non-seriously damaged, without any accidents). Last time such happened 50 or so years ago...
So seems that frequency of such events in the world somehow increased.

If events like the one you describe (i.e., minor earthquakes) only happen once every fifty years, isn't that consistent with your previous statement that the area is seismically inactive? One minor earthquake every fifty years hardly justifies the leap of logic to "the frequency of such events in the world" increasing.
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
I second what kSquared said. The erruption even caused 'a small ice age' in central Europe.
Volcanos seem to have a much more significant effect on the global climate than earth quakes.
Quote:
If events like the one you describe (i.e., minor earthquakes) only happen once every fifty years, isn't that consistent with your previous statement that the area is seismically inactive? One minor earthquake every fifty years hardly justifies the leap of logic to "the frequency of such events in the world" increasing.

?
i'm affraid i absolutely don't get your wording.

It happened this year, several months ago. Not year ago, and not 2 years ago. It is kind of strange that it was triggered this year, right? And it might be somehow related to all other earthquakes that happened recently, right? Somebody there said about minor earthquake in Spain, etc. This might be fluctuation, or it might be related, if frequency of earthquakes(minor and major ones) in the world increased. Not in my area(i doubt it can have minor earthquakes more frequently than about once per 50 years), but in teh world.

edit: some *gasp* analogy: If we have many clocks mostly not in sync (one show 10:00, other show 9:53, third show 10:05, etc), and all is set to make very short beep at 12:00. At about 12:00, frequency of beeps will grow, right? Even if every clocks beep exactly every 12 hours.
Dmytry: Even if our planet is getting into some stage of higher overall geological activity, I doubt that a few isolated events are enough to make a claim like that.
First of all it's purely coincidence that both events (the recent quake in Asia and the minor one you described) happened this year.
Secondly geological processes take place on time scales that exceed even man-kinds scope of existence (e.g. 10,000+ years). Since we have absolutely no reliable data of the world wide geological activities during the past 1000 years, no statistics or valid assumptions can be made - only guesses.

In conclusion I'd just say - calm down, the apocalypse won't come anytime soon (at least not from that direction[wink]).

Cheers,
Pat.
darookie:
You are making conclusions i don't make. I never said anything about apocalypse, damn.

I just thought that mentioning this minor earthquake (edit: and that was first minor earthquake i ever feelt myself) could be at least somewhat related contribution to this thread, and maybe someone there will remember similar events. Then kSquared started to argue[grin] and disagree with something.

I don't mean "apocalypse is coming", and i haven't even said it is related, just "So seems that frequency of such events in the world somehow increased", as it can be just fluctuation, as i also have said in prev. post. It's certanly at least looks strange. I first time ever feel minor earthquake myself. Then there's that extremely big tsunami.
and,
clickster
Frequency of earthquakes (or, maybe "rate of earthquakes" is more apporiate word...) jumps up and down globally. Seems that it's more likely that this year, it goes up.
edit: and i haven't translated it right... closer to center it wasn't "minor" earthquake, it was "light" earthquake, iirc closer to center, magnitude was bigger than 4.
Yeah, I know that - I just wanted to put some fuel into the flames [evil].
It's quite natural to connect (most probably) unrelated events if they somehow affected you personally (e.g. in your case you experienced an earth quake for the first time in your life and then there is a big desaster shortly after).
As I don't know shit about geology and seismic activities (and their statistics during the last century) and how they relate to each other I cannot say whether there actually is such thing as an increased frequency of these events.
I'm just a bit sceptical about such conjenctures... maybe I'm just frustrated that nothing ever happens at my place (except for some flood now and then) [grin]
[edit]
Ok. So there really is a higher frequency this year - interesting!
Nevertheless the affected region is known to be subject to these activities (just like the Tokyo area for example) so it's a shame these countries didn't join the warning system, but this is OT...
[/edit]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement