• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Khaos

[web] Dreamweaver?

This topic is 5041 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Who uses Dreamweaver for web development? Is it one of the best options? I'd like to create a website that is updated almost daily, with some sort of a news "blog" on it. Could anyone point me in the right direction for dynamic web pages?

Advertisement
Well I use Dreamweaver and IMHO it is the best I'v eever used. There are definitly some quirks that I have with it, so it is not by anymeans perfect - but I do like it over Front Page.

For your dynamic site - you need to worry about the language you use - not the IDE. If you are using a lot of dynamic pages or as you say a site that will be updated daily - I'd use something like PHP. It may not be the best tool for the job - but it is my reccomendation because I've started using it for a page and I like it a lot. It has serious potential for what you are doing.

Another chocie is ASP. I have not yet had a chance to use it - but GameeDev uses it and look how much it is updated! I say it is quite succesful in making it easy to maintain - GD staff correct me if I'm wrong [wink].

If you have Windows XP - you can actually use IIS to start programming your web pages and test them out. That's what I am doing. Basically, you just install the web language you want to use, in my case PHP, configure it for IIS (should be done auto for most isntallers), than start! All i had to do was install PHP, make a index.html in the correct folder (C:\Inetpub\wwwroot) then type in localhost for the url and everything was ready.

I'm sure if you took the time with PHP - you could write you a little interface to easily add your comments for the blog and what not. I am currently working on a sort of Small Business Solutions design for a page that would allow easy managment of a business's products as simple as possible, so if you need some design ideas - I can tell you how I'm approaching my task.

I hope this helps some!

- Drew

Is ASP related to C# and .NET? If so, how so?

If I used ASP.. would I still work inside Dreamweaver? Would I use HTML anymore?

Sorry if those questions seem lame.

Quote:
Original post by Khaos
Is ASP related to C# and .NET? If so, how so?

If I used ASP.. would I still work inside Dreamweaver? Would I use HTML anymore?

Sorry if those questions seem lame.

To answer your first two questions, ASP is not related to .NET, but ASP.NET is part of the .NET development platform. ASP.NET allows you to integrate .net programming languages into your asp code, as well as allow you to create web-services.

I'll go ahead and put forth another vote for Dreamweaver. I don't do nearly as much web work as I did two years ago, but I still use it for the occasional page generation and whatnot. Great app.

Dreamweaver is a great app if you're not doing any real serious web development. However, if you're serious about web development and are attempting to create a professional and standards compliant site, I would urge you to stay away from dreamweaver, or any WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) HTML editors for that matter.

Dreamweaver often outputs messy, non-standard code that is not guaranteed to render correctly in every webbrowser. Many professional web development firms won't even hire you if you tell them that you use WYSIWYG editors.

For your application, I'd suppose dreamweaver would suit you -- but you may just want to try learning XHTML and CSS and take a shot at that first, as if you know what you're doing with CSS, you can create a nice layout in notepad faster than you can in Dreamweaver ;)

As for dynamic content, the server side scripting language you must use is dependant on the server your site is hosted on. If it's a linux box, you'll want to go PHP. If if's on a Windows box, ASP would suffice. Both ASP and PHP can be configured on either operating platform however, though the Chilisoft ASP package for linux is not quite as functional as the true windows one.

I would suggest using PHP and a MySQL database as they're both quite easy to learn and PHP has a similar syntax to C++. Here's a great tutorial on implementing MySQL database functionality in PHP.

Good luck!

I use Dreamweaver, however I basically just used it as a text editor and FTP manager. I haven't really looked into its more advanced features.. A few years ago I used Evrsoft's 1st Page 2000, kind of a free take off version of Dreamweaver. Not as pretty but fairly functional.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!