Sign in to follow this  

[java] Announcing sdljava 0.9.0

This topic is 4737 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone, I'm happy to announce the release of sdljava 0.9.0! sdljava is a binding to the SDL API for java. You can find it here: http://sdljava.sourceforge.net sdljava provides a complete binding to all the SDL API functions. Almost the entire binding has been implemented. Please see the TODO for a list of what is still pending. Required/Recommended Libraries: (higher version should be fine) - Java 1.5 - SDL 1.2.7 - SDL_image 1.2.3 (optional) - SDL_mixer 1.2.5 (optional) - SDL_ttf 2.0.6 (optional) - SDL_gfx 2.0.13 (optional) - Ant 1.6.2 (optional, only if you need to compile sdljava.jar) - ruby 1.8.2 (optional, only if you want to re-generate native layer) - SWIG 1.3.22 (optional, only if you want to re-generate native layer) Please let me know any questions, comments or feedback. I hope you will find this useful! Regards, -Ivan/

Since SDL_image, SDL_mixer, SDL_ttf, and SDL_gfx are optional libraries, does that mean I would be able to use the functionality of all those libraries with SDLJava. I am seriously thinking of porting my current game to Java as it is aimed at casual Web Users, and I was wondering how closely can one achieve the performance that is achieved by using regular SDL when using SDLjava? Are the method calls in Java similar to SDL's function calls? I do know some Java (well, taken 2 university courses in it), so I believe that I would have little trouble with the syntax. Also, how close is SDLjava to being complete? A 0.9 version usually means pretty close, right?

The libraries are simply optional in that you don't _need_ them to use sdljava. You choose which ones you want, or, use them all!

Have a look at the javadocs. It should be pretty easy to follow. The function calls are mapped directory from SDL.

I don't have any metrics on the speed difference but naturally its going to be slower then working in straight C. The performance seems quite acceptable however.

It is pretty much completed (exposes all the API) except for a few minor things like YUV support and the SDL_opengl.h functions -- not sure if these will ever be supported at this point.

This topic is 4737 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.