DirectX 9 and Visual C++ Express issues...

Started by
10 comments, last by XxMGxX 19 years, 3 months ago
Some days ago I downloaded the Visual C++ express beta and the dec update of directX 9. Because of connctn speed issues I downloaded only the runtime libraries for the .net sdk 2.0 beta. I've managed to migrate my SDL apps to visual C++ express without any problems so far. But I've run into a roadblock while trying to build DirectX 9 test apps. Apparently, it (d3d9.h) can't find the windows.h and objbase.h headers. I assume, therefore, that the only way to build them then is to download the .net sdk in entirety and presumably the sdk contains the necessary headers? Or is there a workaround? Secondly, do I have to use managed directX or C# to program apps if I use the .net sdk? Or can I continue to code apps as before without worring about managed stuff?
"There is no dark side of the moon." - Pink Floyd
Advertisement
Quote:I assume, therefore, that the only way to build them then is to download the .net sdk in entirety and presumably the sdk contains the necessary headers? Or is there a workaround?

My answer is strictly based on what I've read other people saying - I haven't bothered with 2005-express yet.

Anyway, those headers you mention are from the platform SDK - which, iirc, is not included in the basic download of VC2005. You should be able to solve your problems by downloading the latest platform SDK (and maybe also the .Net2.0 SDK)...

[edit]I just had a quick search on google, and this pops up as #2 in the list: Using Visual C++ 2005 Express with the Microsoft Platform SDK, it should cover what you want.[/edit]

Quote:can I continue to code apps as before without worring about managed stuff?

DirectX and windows API's/SDK's still come in two flavours - .Net and "classic". You can still program as you always have done.

The only risk is that as Managed Code/.Net is Microsofts latest-and-greatest they may well start sneaking features into that platform that are difficult (or impossible) to get from native code apps. So far I don't think this has happened though.

hth

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Thanks for the reply. I'm a little confused now: do I need the .net sdk for any other purpose then? Or is the platform sdk enough for building direct X 9 games with C++?

Additionally, the platform sdk site seems to have undergone a change. I can't find the core SDK anywhere! There are now 2 sdk's one for the windows 2003 server and one for the XPsp2.

I have winXP sp1 (and don't want sp2). Which one do I go for? Also, both the installs seem to be full installs. Am I stuck with downloading the whole thing?
Quote:I'm a little confused now: do I need the .net sdk for any other purpose then? Or is the platform sdk enough for building direct X 9 games with C++?

If you're happy making DX9/C++ games using the "classic" style rather than messing with managed DirectX/.Net then yes, you should be okay without the .Net SDK.

Quote:I can't find the core SDK anywhere! There are now 2 sdk's one for the windows 2003 server and one for the XPsp2.

I have winXP sp1 (and don't want sp2). Which one do I go for? Also, both the installs seem to be full installs. Am I stuck with downloading the whole thing?

I don't like the new site either, BUT, I think you might be okay with the SP2 PSDK. Can't guarantee you this, but I'd read it as enabling you to use the extra features of SP2 - so if you don't use them it shouldn't matter to you. I could be wrong and you might end up with a shed load of linker errors. Have a look at the dependencies/required list for the download.

The "SDK Update Tool" it wants to install/use when you visit the site might allow you to only download stuff you need rather than a full package. Alternatively, look at the "Order CD" menu - you might be able to get it delived for a nominal shipping fee.

hth
Jack

Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

I try this before and it did't work.

You will need more than the platform sdk and reconfigure the ide to support win32 api.

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/visualc/usingpsdk/default.aspx
It works!

step 5 can be hard do, So...

1.File, new project

2.Project Type: Win32
Template: Console Application(win32)

3.Click Application Settings

4.Application Type: windows app.

5.Finish

6.Hit F5

You are done!
All right. I'm going the platform sdk way then. Lets hope this works! Thanks for the inputs! Cheers and Happy New year!
Quote:Original post by Specchum
Thanks for the reply. I'm a little confused now: do I need the .net sdk for any other purpose then? Or is the platform sdk enough for building direct X 9 games with C++?

Additionally, the platform sdk site seems to have undergone a change. I can't find the core SDK anywhere! There are now 2 sdk's one for the windows 2003 server and one for the XPsp2.

You need the Windows Server 2003 SDK. It contains all the code necessary to target 9x up to 2003, this includes XP, XP SP1, and XP 64 bit. You only need the XP SP2 SDK if you want to target XP SP2.
Considering that the XPsp2 download is smaller than the win2003 one, I'm tempted to go in for the former - assuming of course, that I *can* use the XPsp2 version even if only I have SP1. So long as I don't use any Sp2 dependent stuff I should be all right, no?
Quote:So long as I don't use any Sp2 dependent stuff I should be all right, no?

I'd go with a "fingers crossed" on that one.. The best case scenario is that you'll fail to run/compile any SP2-specific code, and the worst case is the updated binaries/lib files will also require the updated SP2 system libraries.

Usually this sort of question will be answered in the "requirements" section of the SDK readme/download... something along the lines of "Microsoft Windows XP or higher required" or "...Windows XP-SP2 required"... try and find that info and you'll be ok.

hth
Jack

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement