Sign in to follow this  

a game that makes u hold ur breath

This topic is 4732 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My name's Lin, a final year university student in Malaysia. I've just started a 4 month individual project on a simple game. I have NO experience in game programming. I was wondering if you could gimme some advice on which software I could use and how stuff works. Here's the deal: It's an underwater game, the character needs to dive below a certain water level to collect some treasures, come back up to the surface and pile it up there. The game must not be limited to keyboard and mouse as interaction, therefore I've come up with some different interaction. I want to bring the environment of the game to the user, meaning when the character is in the water, the player actually has to hold his breath. To do so, Im thinking of making the player wear a snorkel, embed a microphone somewhere inside to pick up any sound of air as the player breathes. If the player breathes when his under the water, the character slows down, chokes for a bit. There'll be a power bar, the life would decrease a bit. When reach the end the character dies. Also the second interaction ( we need minimum 2 interaction) involves a pedal. Im thinking of the game racing pedals ya know? So, the player pedals, to propel the character faster to get the treasures, to come up faster so they can breath again. So roughly that's how it goes. I've used Flash quite a bit, so I was wondering if u think this could be done in flash. Problem is my lecturers wishes it to be less flat, so I gota make it 3d looking somehow. But most importantly is to get that 2 interaction to work, i need to know how to integrate and configure it with the game. So drop me a line back if anyone could help out. I'd greatly appreciate it ;) Peace then.

Quote:
Original post by swanlin
My name's Lin, a final year university student in
Malaysia. I've just started a 4 month individual
project on a simple game. I have NO experience in game
programming. I was wondering if you could gimme some
advice on which software I could use and how stuff
works.

I don't think the microphone idea will work too great. Everyone around the player would have to be quiet, or the game might think the player's breathing. Also, if the player has to pedal at the same time, that's going to be a fairly aerobic exercise, and he's going to need to take breaths frequently.

You could buy an air pressure sensor (about $20-$50), or see if one of your school's chemistry or biology departments will let you borrow one. They're about the size of a dime and could easily be taped inside the snorkel or something. A cheaper solution would be to just experiment with the mike's sensitivity until it only picks up the player's breathing.

Quote:
So roughly that's how it goes. I've used Flash quite a
bit, so I was wondering if u think this could be done
in flash. Problem is my lecturers wishes it to be less
flat, so I gota make it 3d looking somehow. But most
importantly is to get that 2 interaction to work, i
need to know how to integrate and configure it with
the game.

These external devices need some way of talking to the computer. Microphones usually work with a USB port; as for a set of pedals, you'd need to find something that's able to communicate with the computer in some manner, like with a USB port or via an infrared sensor.

It sounds interesting, since divers and that kind of sportsmen (no offence to the ones who are also players), who will be beaten 200-1 in BF or CS, will always win in this game... Hmm, going to the gym to train for a game, sounds quite funny ;)

But I can promise you that anything you are thinking of now as your final product, you won't have enough time to do. Make it simple at first, because 4 months is nothing if you need to learn a new language or script, together with a graphics API plus implementing some sort of interactions. Simple 3D games are hard enough without unusual interaction like that...
Also design it carefully so you don't have to learn more than you need or make more than you game requires (like a GUI with 16 different controls, but you only need a button and a listbox).

the microphone idea is nice, but dont forget it is easy to cheat (background sounds like tv or music (the game music?), or maybe the player will have a luck and a car will pass near his house.)

Imagine walking into your son/daughter's room and seeing them staring at the computer screen with goggles and a snorkel on.

Would be easy to cheat, just take off the snorkel and let it sit when you go under. There could probably be some binds/macros to bypass the pedaling too. But if it was just for presentation and not a game everyone can play, then it is a pretty good idea. It's hard to learn a language in even a month, let alone code something like that in 4.

I don't think flash has many sound options past playing mp3 or wav files. Getting it to measure levels on microphone input... eh, I've never seen a flash file use a microphone, not sure if it's possible. The racing pedals, are pretty much a keyboard button press, but with sensitivity. So yea, that could work. Overall though, I don't think flash is your best choice.

This topic is 4732 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.