Sign in to follow this  

DX9 VS DX8

This topic is 4731 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

OK due to some linking issues, with d3dx9.lib and vc6, I have decided to use direct3d 8. Two questions: 1) What new features am I missing? 2) Is there a way to get d3dx9 to build under vc6? d3d9 works however.

The release notes clearly state that Visual Studio 6.0 support is legacy, dead, and removed. The Summer 2004 SDK release moved 6.0 support into the "extras" download, and the December 2004 SDK totally removed support.

You can download the VS .NET 2003 compiler and linker FOR FREE from Microsoft's download site (search the site for the link), although they don't come with the nice integrated environment and debugger that buying the real thing does. There's also 2005 beta, which probably is still available.

It is recommended that you stay with DX9c. Dont go to DX8 just because you can't compile in VC6.

D3D9c is designed to work with VS.Net. The problem is the D3DX library. Anyway, if you download the DX9 Extras you will find a D3DX9 library that works with VC6.

DX9 is recommended. You will be missing many optimizations in the Effect Framework, new documentation and better mesh support. And if you are focusing to advanced effects, you get support for VS 3.0 and PS 3.0

Luck!
Guimo

Guest Anonymous Poster
you can go as far as the summer up date with dx9, don't know about October?

O.K. this is another question. I just uninstalled the DirectX Summer 2003 SDK from my pc and downloaded the newest '04 version, but did not install (no disc space at the moment). Will this DirectX SDK work with VS.NET 2002 (ah, hell I don't even know what version it is, but it's the first one). Or should I just get rid of my VS.NET 2002 and use the VS.NET 2005 Beta? Is the beta fully functional? I have the DVD but never installed, (again disc space and have been slacking on the programming side of games for the last few months - having trouble stoping playing them lately - unemployed (seems my desire to program decreased when I resigned from my job and do housework and job searching all day)).

Hope I didn't lose anyone there in my rant.

Bottom line: Can I use the VS.NET 2005 beta to do all my programming (especially with the newest DirectX SDK)? Or will I have to buy the full addition when released? Or will I have to revert to an earlier version of the SDK and use VS.NET 2002?

Please help.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Yeah it should be ok, they're only stopping support for vs6 thats all,.. because it's old etc.
I don't know about vs 2005 vs 2002 compatibility problems.

Guest Anonymous Poster
vs2005 beta will work for all the latest, the only thing is you arn't allowed to redistribute any executables you make on it. So you won't be able to post any demos or anything made with it.

For the time being I stick with DX8.1 because it is pre-installed with XP. That means average users don't have to dangerously f** around with their computer to play your game.
If you want to sell your game to the middle market, that is something you should consider.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Prototype
For the time being I stick with DX8.1 because it is pre-installed with XP. That means average users don't have to dangerously f** around with their computer to play your game.

How does user needs to dangerously f** with their computer to install DX9?
Stop telling bulshit if you don't have a clue.

You only dare saying that anonymously? Probably you're not so sure you have a clue yourself.

Look, they have to undertake certain actions in terms of downloading, installing, rebooting etc. which could make your game less attractive to some people or at least damage your image. And installing a DirectX package is a dangerous operation for novice users, because it can easily go wrong and if their computer is not going to boot the next time, your game is going to get blamed for it.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Prototype
And installing a DirectX package is a dangerous operation for novice users, because it can easily go wrong...

It's time to move on comrade. By your reasoning, we should not move on and embrace new technology/api, because some 0.1% of users might have a problem with TODAY's updating to DX9.x. This attitude only makes harder on all of us (professional and hobbyists), because it makes us to support older technology and all the bugs and issues with it.

This topic is 4731 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.