Sign in to follow this  

Should we know we're talking to a machine?

This topic is 4729 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

IIRC, Asimov's first law doesn't state that a robot/ai entity must identify itself as a machine. It simply says a robot cannot harm a human, or by inaction allow a human being to come to harm.

Quote:
Original post by frankgoertzen
Just harvesting some thoughts on this:

Giving that an artificial speaking entity could sound, and respond just like a human should it first be required by law to identify itself as a machine and not human?

I would say "no"...but I need more information on what you are asking.

For example...if our society reached a point where you call the Police and the default way of handling 911 calls is to route you to an AI dispatch (which would be able to ask the appropriate questions and send a police car to your location)...I think I would want the option of talking to a human being if I chose to. Maybe I don't trust the AI entity to make the right decisions (for whatever reason).

Where are you headed with this?

Just as a little bit of trivia for anybody who doesn't know this yet, the test proposed by Allan Turing for determining whether a machine was intelligent is whether or not that machine could fool a human interacting with that machine into thinking that it was human. Needless to say, we are not even close to achieving that.

maybe this is a little out-topic, but somepeople taking a philosophical point of view argue that a machine can nvr be 'intellegent' in the real sense of intelligence.... but who said that humans are intellegent?!?!
for this who thinks he might prefer talking to a human (optionally), why would u trust a human intellegence more than a computers intellegence. i think computers are more capable of intellegence than humans are (sure this is when they reach high tech).

for the above question, sure it would be nice if computers identify themselves as being so, no matter what was the reason, knowing something is always better than not knwing it.

In Tad William's Otherland series of novels, AI were required to identify themselves when asked "Puppet or Citizen?" Puppet meant AI, obviously. Apparently it became impolite to ask this of anybody except people working in customer service.

This topic is 4729 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.