RAD Language

Started by
5 comments, last by Drakkcon 19 years, 3 months ago
I want to program my 2D level editor in a Rapid App Development language rather than C++ for obvious reasons. What's your favorite RAD language that allows me to do this and is free? It only needs 2D, file, and GUI support; it must be compiled.
Advertisement
By far my favourite RAD language is C# which can be picked up in a few minutes if you know C++ already. There is a free IDE for it here. It does require that whoever runs the program have the .NET framework installed on their PC though.
I've never tried C#, but that looks pretty cool. I've heard it's quite fast, and since it has DirectX bindings it will be perfect. Thanks!
My vote is also C#. Could also use VB.NET, but if you are more accustomed to C type syntax, then C#. I'm currently using the Beta 1 C# Express Edition IDE from Microsoft, it's pretty nice, and it's free for download right now.
Ack, I keep trying to install #dev, but it says that I already have a previous version installed (I installed it, never got around to trying it, and then deleted the folder), what do I do? I can't download the uninstaller off of the website.

EDIT: Just read the post about the express beta 1, I'll try that.
I love C++ for writing the good stuff, C# for writing the windows standard app style stuff, and ruby for everything else ...

I wrote a ruby simple scene graph library and test in 2 days ... and have been able to continuously refine it from there, with visible improvements and features every single day I've worked on it except 1 (I spent 1 reorganizing my xml file format) - I write on it about 4-6 hours a week, for a total of about 40 hours now and am very happy with it ... ruby just plain rocks

but if you are learning any new language, expect some hicups while you get bit by the occasional strange difference or undocumented 'feature'
Alright, I'm using Visual C# now. As for scripting languages I don't like Ruby's syntax much, I prefer simple 'basic-like' scripting languages (Like the RM2K scripting language). I may look into it though, thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement