Sign in to follow this  

Who has made a First Person Shooter Before

This topic is 4732 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Who has made a First Person Shooter Before? i want to make one but i am waiting for a book i ordered on programming a multiplayer fps in directx so i can read how to make one. if you made one before can you put a link up so i can see your demo that you made. cause i want to see what people made. i like looking at peoples games that they made. oh and how hard would be the ai and physics( like for rag dolls and rigid bodys.....) be. thanks for input. [Edited by - 31337noob on December 30, 2004 4:09:52 PM]

I haven't done one yet (if ever), but you can get some sample code here, mostly to do with collision detection and physics.

http://uk.geocities.com/olivier_rebellion/simple_collision.zip
http://uk.geocities.com/olivier_rebellion/BSPLoader.zip
http://uk.geocities.com/olivier_rebellion/Cube.zip

FPS isn't harder than say, 3rd persone shooters (tomb raider, jak and dexter, metal gear solid). In fact, it's easier.

as far as physics is concerned, you'll be in a world of pain. Keep it simple or use a 3rd party physics engine (novodex, newton, tokamak, ode, in order of preference).

Quote:
Original post by 31337noob
i am using directx9 not opengl

The code for collision detection isn't in opengl, nor it will be in directx.
Look at the damn samples! :)

Quote:
Original post by owl
Quote:
Original post by 31337noob
i am using directx9 not opengl

The code for collision detection isn't in opengl, nor it will be in directx.
Look at the damn samples! :)

this guys got no chance of making his fps :)

You should be able to just do it, otherwise your not ready to undertake the project.

Guest Anonymous Poster
here is a link to my demo My FPS Demo.

It took me some time to write the code, but I bought an excellent book that helped me through it, here is a link to the book FPS programming

Anyway I hope this helps.

i might as well take this opportunity to see how mine stacks up....
not much of a game yet, just a map editor/viewer

http://people.ucsc.edu/~asue/lander/portal_AdrianSue.zip

hit 'o' as soon as it starts up to load the default map
wasd and arrow keys to move camera around
try not to hit any other keys than that at first, since this is basically my map editor and the controls are....unintuitive

good start? bad?

I'm impress, the controls aren't bad actually I was thinking of something similar except I'm just going to get rid of the changing the view with the keyboard and leave that to the mouse.

If its of any interest, Advanced Animation with DirectX (Jim Adams) shows you how to do lip-syncronised speech, time based animation, ragdoll physics, etc.

Damn, I love that book.

well i basically got to a similar level as ur demo, but i found that when using freelook for movement, if u circled the mouse, u would get a slight amount of roll like so if you straighten up u would be leaning, if you went the other way it would cancel it out.

Has anyone else had this?

ace

This topic is 4732 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.