Sign in to follow this  

compiler error in (some) tutorials

This topic is 4732 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Im just getting started learning some d3d, using c#. Ive downloaded the dx sdk for c# and had my fun writing some simple stuff. But when i try to do something a bit more advanced, i run into trouble. The problem i run into is just the same as the problem i get when i try to compile the tutorials that come with the sdk, or rather when i try to compile tutorial 4 and 5: C:\..\Tutorial4\Lights.cs(53): 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device' does not contain a definition for 'DeviceCreated' C:\..\Tutorial4\Lights.cs(92): 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.CustomVertex.PositionNormal' does not contain a definition for 'SetPosition' C:\..\Tutorial4\Lights.cs(93): 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.CustomVertex.PositionNormal' does not contain a definition for 'SetNormal' C:\..\Tutorial4\Lights.cs(94): 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.CustomVertex.PositionNormal' does not contain a definition for 'SetPosition' C:\..\Tutorial4\Lights.cs(95): 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.CustomVertex.PositionNormal' does not contain a definition for 'SetNormal' C:\..\Tutorial4\Lights.cs(138): 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Light' does not contain a definition for 'Commit' for all i know that looks like the dll file that i refer is of a different version than the sample code. But i havent done anything fancy with installing old .net framework, old dx sdk or anything, and the dlls are only on my disk once (not refering the wrong path). I managed to "heal" some of the errors by changing "foo.SetNormal(...)" to "foo.Normal = ..." etc. but cant fix it all straight away, and it annoyes me to have to alter the sample source. Any ideas? thx Kasper

When I went through the C# tutorials, I had this same problem. IIRC, I had to fix it just by editing the source myself. Apparently, Microsoft update that section of Managed DX but didn't update the tutorials [wink].

This topic is 4732 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.